Newbie Build: NAS / Homeserver

wsx

Cadet
Hi,

I decided to build a home Server / NAS for data storage and to run some local Servers / Apps (e.g. a small CI for private repos). This is the first time I take a look at such a project. Hence there are many things where i am unsure whether i selected the right hardware.
I am planning to have 7 disks (5x data, 2x parity) and use either RAID-6 or RAID-Z2 (i have not decided, since i want to do some more reading up on this topic).
The servers i want to run will be TrueNAS Apps (where possible) and Jails / VMs where necessary.
There will be 2-3 devices accessing the NAS (excluding Apps/VMs running on the server) and most will use Nextcloud / webDAV. Most files will be media and will be streamed from / copied to the server (so no video editing / etc. on the share).
I want to use this server for a long time, hence i rather want to oversize than use something that is just about sufficient for my use case.

Hardware:
Open questions:

1. Are there any obvious issues you can see / things i have overlooked?
  2. Is the ECC RAM compatible for this Hardware? (I think so, but i this is the first time i looked at ECC RAM and i am not sure)
  3. Is the PSU sufficient? (Following https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/proper-power-supply-sizing-guidance.38811/ i should need around 625, so i think it should work)
  4. Will VMs work with this Hardware?
    From https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/jailspluginsvms/virtualmachines/creatingbasicvm/
TrueNAS VMs use the bhyve virtual machine software. This type of virtualization requires an Intel processor with Extended Page Tables (EPT) or an AMD processor with Rapid Virtualization Indexing (RVI) or Nested Page Tables (NPT). VMs cannot be created unless the host system supports these features.
If i look at https://www.amd.com/en/product/12161 I do not see RVI/NPT listed, but neither is it listed for server processors such as AMD EPYC™ 7773X (https://www.amd.com/en/product/11851). Hence i am not sure whether they even list it (because i would expect a server processor to support visualization and this technology is old)​

Thank you in advance for any advice.

danb35

Hall of Famer
7 disks (5x data, 2x parity)
Modern RAID configurations don't use dedicated parity disks; parity is striped across all disks in a VDEV.
use either RAID-6 or RAID-Z2 (i have not decided, since i want to do some more reading up on this topic).
If you're using TrueNAS, it will be RAIDZ2; RAID 6 is not supported.
Are there any obvious issues you can see / things i have overlooked?
The gaming motherboard is a major red flag. You're building a server, not a gaming rig.
Boot / VM disk:
Not supported--the boot device is only the boot device; using it for any other application is unsupported.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The Ryzen 7000 series and its associated chipset are less than a month old; you're using a very new platform, which would mean you're the one to discover any unsupported hardware or sharp edges.

It also uses a Realtek network card, which is poorly supported; the 13.0-U2 update disabled it by default I believe.

The ASMedia SATA card is also less preferred versus the common LSI SAS HBAs.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you ask before buying stuff, many do it the other way around.

For a better overall understanding I suggest you look at the "Recommended readings" in my signature. Not all topics are relevant, but you should check out at the least the first couple of them.

As to the drives, I recommend that you also check the data center drives (Exos for Seagate). At least in the past I have found them to be considerable cheaper than the rest. I should add that I had issues with 3 of my drives, but on the other hand the RMA was always as smooth and fast as one could wish for.