New to Freenas Core: complete Hardware Change?

ForMyDemons

Dabbler
Hey Community,

my GF and me just bought her a new PC and i wanted to use her old one to build my first NAS/Freenas core system.

Since its an older i5 with only 4 SATA ports i see myself this year or latest next year to buy a new board with new cpu and ram, but for now i will stay with 3 HDD's in ZFS1 setup and a SSD as OS drive.

Now the question, if i buy in the future a new board, cpu and ram, can i just swap the hardware, put the hdd's and the OS SSD in and everything will run or how will the system behave, since i will not touch the OS SSD drive nor the HDD's.

(i searched a bit and have seen topics regarding software updates and so forth but was not able to find this topic)

thank you in advance

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For the most part, yes, you can bring your OS drive and pool drives to the new system, and it should work, as OpenZFS uses the drive GUIDs and not the drive ports to address drives.

A better option is to just bring the pool drives, and reinstall TrueNAS to a new OS drive, and then upload the system config, which will restore all your share definitions without having to fuss with drivers.

ForMyDemons

Dabbler
Good to know, thanks, then i will export the sysem config on a usb stick before i upgrade the system, i guess the systemconfig backup is a menu point somewhere but i will see it.

Redcoat

MVP