How to use SSD cache to keep HDD idle

andrew_401

Cadet
Dear TrueNAS Community,
I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time. However, now I would like to ask a question that I hope somebody can help me with.

For a new TrueNAS setup I would like to ask your help on how to setup a specific pool. One in which the SSD cache is used to keep the HDD's idle.

I am thinking of a pool with 3x 3T HDD and 2x 2T SSD cache (with some form of redundancy)

The use case is:
- Daily backup of photos (from phone). This backup is only sporadically accessed (once a month or less)
- 2 or 3 databases. Every minute some values are stored into these databases. Not much is logged, but the databases are quite 'large' (for me at least)
- About 500Gb of files I access regularly (multiple times a week)
- About 1 TB of files I access very sporadically (probably less than once a month)

I want to use the cache to access the HDD's less than 1 time a week and keep the HDD's in idle in the meantime.
To be clear; I do not wish to use the cache for faster read write. I want to use it to keep the HDD's in idle as long as possible.

Can anybody tell me how to setup a pool like described above? Where the SSD cache is used to keep the HDD's in idle for a long time. Is it even possible with TrueNAS?

Btw, I know the discussions about keeping the HDD's in idle and that the consensus is that you should not. But I guess that starting up a HDD approximately 52 time as year should not be any problem.

I thank you upfront for any help
Kind regards.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can anybody tell me how to setup a pool like described above?
A pool such as you describe isn't possible in TrueNAS. You might be able to achieve the desired effect with two pools, and a weekly replication task from one to the other, but there isn't a way to do this with a single pool.

awasb

Patron
Well ... apart from the redundancy/availability aspects ...

1.) Create a mirrored SSD pool from your two SSDs. (Otherwise there wouldn't be anything like "redundancy".) -> ca. 1.5TB
2.) Create a raidz1 HDD pool. -> ca. 4.6TB
3.) Create a SSD-Backup dataset on your HDD pool.
4.) Create a replication task from your SSD pool to the SSD-Backup dataset on your HDD pool running once 1 week.
5.) Store the more frequently accessed data into datasets on your SSD pool.
6.) Share those SSD datasets.
7.) Store the less frequently accessed data (those 1TB you are accessing "probably less than once a month") into a dataset on your HDD pool.
8.) Share that HDD dataset.
9.) Think about backups.

If I were you (and just as far as I understand), I'd ditch the idea. How much energy are you going to save that way? What's the cost benefit?

I'd expect it's not going to be worth the hassle.

sretalla