New to FreeNAS and can't get my JBOD to recognize in 11.2

Docdead

Cadet
Hey there community. I've been pulling my hair out over trying to get FreeNAS to recognize my HP FCLSE-0701. I'm running a Supermicro SuperServer 2027R-N3RFT+ that has 16 2.5" bays on the front. Using the built-in Intel controller, I'm connecting to two pairs of SSDs that I've installed in the SuperServer itself. I also have an LSI SAS9200-8e that I have flashed to 20.00.07.00 in IT mode, based on reading through the forums. I've connected the 9200 to my HP FCLSE-0701 and I can see the drives listed when booting the server. When I boot into FreeNAS, I only see the SSDs that are connected through the internal Intel controller. I'm at a loss as to what I'm missing to get the drives in the HP to recognize in FreeNAS. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_6156.JPG IMG_6155.JPG IMG_6154.JPG

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What kind of drives are in the HP enclosure? What data is already on those drives?

Docdead

Cadet
I don't know what data is on the drives. I purchased the enclosure used and was told that everything had been wiped clean, however, I have not done anything to confirm this.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't know what data is on the drives. I purchased the enclosure used and was told that everything had been wiped clean, however, I have not done anything to confirm this.
It looks like, from the images you showed, there is already a configuration on the disks.
Have you setup your system so you can SSH into it? In a terminal window, if you give the command camcontrol devlist what is the output you get? If you would past it up here inside code tags like this: [CODE] your text here [/CODE]

Docdead

Cadet
I do have FreeNAS 11.2 installed on the internal drives. Currently there is no data that I want to retain. My goal is to get FreeNAS to recognize the enclosure so that I can add three 6TB NAS drives that I picked up and set them up in a raid. Then continue to add large drives for my household NAS. The PMAP drive is a 32gb USB stick that I left plugged in after I flashed the 9200-8e.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist
<ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 B1D1>        at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 B1D1>        at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<ATA SPCC Solid State 2A0>         at scbus1 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<ATA SPCC Solid State 2A0>         at scbus1 target 3 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
<  PMAP>                           at scbus10 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da4)

Attachments

• FreeNAS 2019-04-19 114053.png
    FreeNAS 2019-04-19 114053.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 520

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
With the SAS HBA being in IT mode, it can't have any RAID configuration on it, but from looking at the documentation on the enclosure, it appears to be able to set drives into logical groups internal to the drive shelf. That is no good for you because the guide I was looking at says that there could be a password set on it. You probably need to look into accessing the disk shelf through the management interface to see what is configured.

1555696237227.png

Docdead

Cadet
I disabled the boot ability on the 9200-8e and not some of the drives are showing up. One set of three 450gb drives seems to exist as a single drive. I added my three 6TB drives, but they are not showing up. So there is at least some progress. The 6TB drives aren't formatted so I'm not sure if that is why they aren't showing up or if it is how I have it wired. I have a cable from each of the two SFF-8088 ports to Port 0 on each of the two back connections on the JBOD. Each connection has a Port 0 and Port 1 and I don't know if I should be wiring them together any other way.

Here is what my current camcontrol devlist says:

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist
<ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 B1D1>        at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 B1D1>        at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<ATA SPCC Solid State 2A0>         at scbus1 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<ATA SPCC Solid State 2A0>         at scbus1 target 3 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
<HP MSA2012sa J300>                at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,ses0)
<HP MSA2012sa J300>                at scbus2 target 0 lun 4 (pass5,da4)
<HP MSA2012sa J300>                at scbus2 target 2 lun 0 (ses1,pass6)
<HP MSA2012sa J300>                at scbus2 target 2 lun 4 (da5,pass7)
[root@freenas ~]#

Last edited:

Docdead

Cadet
That's an HP MSA2000 series array, not a true JBOD disk shelf. I'm betting there's an Ethernet port on the back of it or some other management interface. Either way it's not what you need here.
Okay, so I guess my terminology is off. Yeah, there is an Ethernet and a custom kind of CLI connector. I was looking for possible software to manage the enclosure, however I haven't been able to find anything. The closest I think I could figure out is that it might need the HBE software from HP, but that isn't available.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Okay, so I guess my terminology is off. Yeah, there is an Ethernet and a custom kind of CLI connector. I was looking for possible software to manage the enclosure, however I haven't been able to find anything. The closest I think I could figure out is that it might need the HBE software from HP, but that isn't available.
The problem here is that you're putting ZFS on top of an array that already wants to do its own thing as far as creating RAID groups and volumes. It needs to be a true JBOD; the closest the MSA2000 series can do is individual RAID0 but you'll still have the potential for the controller to interfere with something like SMART data or cache flushing.

It's fine if you want to present a single volume to a Windows server for example; but layering a software RAID or volume manager like ZFS on top of that is a recipe for heartache at minimum and disaster at worst.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
One set of three 450gb drives seems to exist as a single drive. I added my three 6TB drives, but they are not showing up. So there is at least some progress.
This is not progress. The thing you bought is not what you need. It has a hardware RAID controller integrated inside and that is simply not compatible with FreeNAS. The reason the disks you added are not showing up is because they are not configured in the array manager utility of that unit.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have a cable from each of the two SFF-8088 ports to Port 0 on each of the two back connections on the JBOD.
The thing you have is not a JBOD. The seller may not have known the difference, but the thing you have is an array enclosure with integrated logic. What you need is something that looks very similar but has no integrated logic, like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xyratex-JBOD-Expansion-Array-12-x-3-5-6Gb-s-SAS-Hard-Drive-Bay-HB-1235-Dell-HP/192892969043

Docdead

Cadet
I appreciate the help and learning. Thank you both. I will see what I can come up with.