External SAS Controller Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTrain

Dabbler
Greetings,

As I continue to work through my Storage Array construction I'm looking at using an HP D2700 with my FreeNAS system (HP DL380 G7). I have both already so it's not a cost conversation. After perusing some of the different threads on external SAS I haven't seen a conclusive statement around a "superior" storage controller for this use.

I've looked at the LSI 9200-8e but I'm not sure if that's a good selection. Feedback and/or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, my apologies if this is a redundant question that's been answered several times over. In the event that I missed that information please feel free to refer me, no need to repeat it.

sfcredfox

Patron
Hp makes the H221 which is a dual port external 8088, might check that out. Its a 9207-8e or a 9205-8e. There are some quirks if you get the second one. You wont be able to tell until you go to flash it.

The favorite is the M1015, but its an internal, so you have to get a converter.

KTrain

Dabbler
Hp makes the H221 which is a dual port external 8088, might check that out. Its a 9207-8e or a 9205-8e. There are some quirks if you get the second one. You wont be able to tell until you go to flash it.

The favorite is the M1015, but its an internal, so you have to get a converter.

Thanks for your response. I'll look at the models you mentioned above to see what's up with them. I never considered using an internal SAS controller with a converter, that might be worth doing. I also don't understand how SAS enclosures handle breakout connections so that's something I need to figure out (internal SAS seems to follow 1 x 4 where-as the enclosure itself only has one connection not including redundancy on it so in the case of the 2700 it'd be 1 x 25).

sfcredfox

Patron
Disk enclosures usually use SAS expanders, there's some really good posts and articles that referenced by them, I just don't know of any off hand.
JGRECO might have some posts about SAS stuff worth reading, most of his posts are money.

I am using both types of controller. I have an HP MSA70 connected to a converter from an internal M1015. I also have a controller (HP H221) that will be running an HP D2700. I am hoping the 6G disks don't suck as bad as the 3G disks do. I'll probably be disappointed, but hey, more disks = more fun :) and more power :(

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any of the recommended cards is available in internal, external and mixed versions. For instance, an LSI SAS 9207-4e4i has four external and four internal SAS channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.