BUILD New storage server build

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnmai

Dabbler
Hi lads,

My last post where about losing a Zpool of data, i got everything back (with 2 weeks of work lost) wich was nice.

Now to the next step, a new storage server.
I would like to ask you for your opinion on this new build to work out the mistakes on the hardware choices i made.

My current list is:
i5 4570 (non k) cpu. ---> NOPE! ILL GO FOR AN XEON! I WANT ECC TO WORK
intel Xeon E3-1220V3
Asus P9D-M --> SuperMicro is recomended
Super Micro X10SAE
IBM M1015 Raidcontroler (not for raid but as controller for the disks)
32 GB of Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 ECC RAM DDR3
A case with 12 Hotswap bays and a 600 Watt PSU (seasonic)
12 Disks --> WesternDigital Red 750Gb Sata600
Plextor M6e PCIe SSD (for cashing tests)

Shares will go trough NFS

Ill be using this setup in 3 stages
1 test different pools (including the wierd ones ZFS 1/1/5 and so on (including the normal setups) so see what the performance is and what everything does)

2 testing different pools with Compression and DeDup With cashing!

3 Using a pool to store data (work related) what i should almost never lose. (not as backup but a almost never failing pool would be nice).

If you want i can post my findings on this forum (if needed) (and requests for pools can be made)

Now its up to you lads, is this setup a GO, or a NO GO.

With kind regards
Burnmai

Edit 001 --> cpu not compatible with ECC
Edit 002 --> New cpu choice
Edit 003 --> New Motherboard choice

David3D

Explorer
I keep reading the board of choice being a Supermicro and it is what I am going in to my small business build. Never been a fan of any ASUS boards but if it has a good reputation, go for it! Supermicro can be hard to get your hands on from my experience!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, there's a myriad of reasons why we don't go with ASUS. They make decent desktop boards. But server boards... no.

diedrichg

Wizard
Are you reusing the 12 WD reds? Have you considered doing less disks with higher capacity and lower % of failure? Will your psu have 12 SATA power plugs? If you go with less disks you could go with a smaller psu (450W Gold) and save some power.

burnmai

Dabbler
I keep reading the board of choice being a Supermicro and it is what I am going in to my small business build. Never been a fan of any ASUS boards but if it has a good reputation, go for it! Supermicro can be hard to get your hands on from my experience!

Thanks, Looking into a different Motherboard by SuperMicro.

Are you reusing the 12 WD reds? Have you considered doing less disks with higher capacity and lower % of failure? Will your psu have 12 SATA power plugs? If you go with less disks you could go with a smaller psu (450W Gold) and save some power.

Well No, I dont realy want to store Terabytes of data, i want to use this machine to expand my knowledge on ZFS and freeas. Its more of a "test and play system". So for that i would love to use more drives to that i could create different Vdevs and see how the theory keeps up to the practice.
In a few months ill build the serious storage, but i want to checkout things as Dedup and Compression so that i realy know what i'm doing.

On the part of Lower % of failure, if i recall correctly the per_bit_error rate is about 1E-14 for most of the consumer grade disks if i want this to be better i could go for (an example) a WdRE disk that will have an error of 1E-15 or even Velociraptors wich have an error rate of 1E-16. taking into account the cost, (for all 1tb disks) it will be:
WDred vs WDRe cost will see an increase of 136%
WDred vs WDveloci cost will see an increase of 200%
(not on the total but for just the disks)
Indeed ill give you this: its an increase of a factor of 10 or 100 to the WD reds. It might work better for keeping the data permanently but considering the use for the device ill just take the Reds. (wich i prefere above Greens/blues)

Kind regards
Will update in about 1 hour.

--> New mobo added

gpsguy

Please read the manual and search the forum, before you enable de-dupe. The rule of thumb is 5Gb of RAM per 1Tb of storage. There is no upper bound.

Sent from my phone

burnmai

Dabbler
Thanks!!

I do know this fact.
and even though ill have close to 3gig per Tb ill have a walk with it. (not for permenent storage but for testing the functions it should do the trick)

i bought the list today.

Status
Not open for further replies.