New plugin available: Crashplan

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks,

It's another week and another frequently requested plugin has been added to the plugins menu!

The awesome William G. has now brought us support for Crashplan, a popular cloud backup solution.

This one wasn't as easy as some of the others. It requires linux emulation and a fairly complex setup, so we'd really appreciate some feedback from folks who actively use Crashplan on a daily basis to see if we got all the details correct.

Thanks!

John M. Długosz

Contributor
Interesting. $4/month or more like 7 if you go month-to-month, and back up the entire ZFS? Sure beats buying another set of disks, at least in the short term.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, that's assuming you even have the upload bandwidth and monthly data cap to allow such things. Everyone I know has a for monthly usage cap of 1TB or less(some as low as 150GB), so backing up the most important data is certainly possible. But backing up an entire zpool is definitely out of the question.

vegaman

Explorer
Yeah, that's assuming you even have the upload bandwidth and monthly data cap to allow such things. Everyone I know has a for monthly usage cap of 1TB or less(some as low as 150GB), so backing up the most important data is certainly possible. But backing up an entire zpool is definitely out of the question.
This is the problem I've been trying to work out recently (that and if I can trust the data integrity of these services). I guess once you've got everything uploaded then incremental updates would probably be alright in terms of bandwidth and data usage, but it would take a long time to get there.
My other option is to build another freenas box and put it somewhere else - I'm actually lucky in that I have a good location for that. But currently I only have a 100mbit connection with unmanaged switches between the locations. So I might need to get some more managed switches. The downside of this is it's a lot more costly than the cloud services. But it would be quicker and I'd trust it more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

John M. Długosz

Contributor
I'm thinking I can get another set of drives but not build another appliance. Just pull the drives and store them somewhere else. And I don't have to match the capacity and volume topology of the zpool; I can back up each dataset to a drive of suitable size, with a policy suitable for that data.

My primary use is archival data: photos/video and system backups.

zottelbeyer

Dabbler
This is neat! So far i've been running Crashplan on a Pi connected via NFS to the NAS but this should allow for some performance improvements.
Combined with duplicity and crontabs on all locale machines to backup home directories to the NAS this is my personal favorite backup solution

carozas

Cadet
I'm looking forward to testing this! All the new plugins have been great!

Shastada

Cadet
This one wasn't as easy as some of the others. It requires linux emulation and a fairly complex setup, so we'd really appreciate some feedback from folks who actively use Crashplan on a daily basis to see if we got all the details correct.

Is there a step by step guide for setting this up? I got the linux emulation part done, but clueless on the SSH configuration (in the jail) and my netstat doesn't show crashplan listening on the 42xx ports.

Whattteva

Wizard
It's a kernel support module that enables a software layer to allow binaries compiled for a Linux kernel to run on FreeBSD kernel.

securerandom

Cadet
Thank you! I've been awaiting this for a *long* time. However, it does not seem to be working.

Issue: GUI keeps telling me to enable linux support in tunables, even though I have, and restarted.
Steps to Recreate:
  1. Fresh Install (with SSH).
  2. Install Crashplan plugin
  3. Set tunable as described
  4. Reboot
  5. All the UI prompts keep telling me to set tunables. After restart.
Netstate reveals the service is not running (per headless docs).
Code:
[root@nas] ~# telnet localhost 4200
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
[root@nas] ~# telnet localhost 4242
Trying 127.0.0.1...
[root@nas] ~# telnet localhost 4243
Trying 127.0.0.1...
[root@nas] ~# netstat -na | grep LISTEN | grep 42
tcp4      0      0 127.0.0.1.9042        *.*                    LISTEN
[root@nas] ~#

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 1.50.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 1.50.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 1.50.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 1.50.39 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 1.50.52 PM.png

Jens

Dabbler
Anyone got this working? i can see crashplan in the process list but not connect to it on port 4243!!

Jens

Dabbler
how do I configure sshd in the jail?
i set up the linux_load = YES rebooted and activated. set storage and connected via putty ssh made a tunnel.
when that did not work i tried connection via telnet from inside ssh. still no conenction. then i tried to list all listening ports, but im not sure how to do that when using jails.

Jens

Dabbler
ahh i guees i have to go to Jail , /mnt/Big/jails/crashplan_1/etc/rc.conf and sshd_enable=YES
i checked it says YES. can't ssh to the jail ip. i will try to reboot to see if it works.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
jexec crashplan_1 csh

Then edit sshd enabling tcp forwarding
vim /etc/ssh/sshd_config
service sshd restart

You also need to configure the user and password within the jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.