BUILD New NAS build...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toovok

Cadet
Hi, I've been researching different builds and reading the posted tutorials and user posts for the last month. My primary goal is to create a NAS for streaming movies to my son’s room. He has cerebral palsy and is wheelchair bound but he's very handy with remotes! I can’t see having more than 2 streams at once. I’ll also use it to store backups of family photos, music, etc. I’ll be using Plex for streaming movies. I’m pretty sure these parts will all play nicely but was hoping for an experienced opinion. I was trying to “future proof” this build somewhat by going with the X10 motherboard. I’m fully open to any advice or critiques as you see fit.

I’m planning on putting the 6x4TB HDDs in raidz2 and should get a theoretical 16TB (probably closer to 10-11TB of usable space I believe). I estimate I have about 4TB in movies now. It’s hard to estimate, but I think this amount of storage should get me 3-5 years down the road. At that point I can start swapping in bigger HHDs or add a SATA card and a second raidz2 vdev to my zpool.

I am a bit worried about the MB supporting the CPU out of the box. There were posts about BIOS issues with these newer boards and processors. I don't really want to have to buy an older CPU just to flash the BIOS. The motherboard and cpu were probably my biggest point of indecision.

Hard Drives: 6x4TB Western Digital Red WD40EFRX
MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SLM+-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C224 DDR3 1600
CPU: Intel Core i3-4330
RAM: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model CT2KIT102472BD160B
PSU: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM
USB-Stick: Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 8GB Micro USB OTG Flash Drive Model DTDUO/8GB
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC
UPS: CyberPower CP850PFCLCD UPS 850VA / 510W PFC compatible Pure sine wave

Yatti420

Wizard
Hardware looks good.. The CPU supports ECC.. Motherboard should support CPU.. Check compatibility list..

Toovok

Cadet
Yatti420, Thank you very much for checking over my parts list. The Motherboard manual says it supports 4th Generation Core i3 so it should support the i3-4330. I was hoping someone else had tried this combo and could verify it. I would like to avoid what one poster had to go through in order to flash his BIOS to support his new CPU/MB combo.

Zedicus

Explorer
why not just go with a 3rd gen for now anyway? you know it will work and the difference in performance for the use of the device won't be astonishing.

sorry i can not actually help with the question at hand. maybe the seller lists firmware version and you can check that on the cpu comp page?

Toovok

Cadet
He Zedicus, thank you for your reply. That's been my dilemma really. I've gone back and forth quite a few times between the x9 and x10 motherboards. There's not that much of a price difference between the two. Only a $26 dollars between the X10SLM/i3 4330 and the X9SCM/i3 3240. And your right about the performance between the two. I probably can't go wrong either way. Thank you everyone for your inputs!

Toovok

Cadet
More to think about. I hadn't really considered AMD, mostly because all the builds I found and reviewed were Intel based.

Status
Not open for further replies.