Critique my new build: Avoton Based :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4nthr4x

Explorer
I've done 3 transcoded streams at once on my c2758, although sometimes I've had random lag on some of my systems but I have no idea why and it generally occurs when I'm only doing one stream (it doesn't make much sense), that might be a client issue.

hungarianhc

Patron
I've been able to do multiple transcoded streams as well. The only thing it seems to struggle with are a few of my blu ray MKV files that are like 40GB. I usually use Hanbrake to convert them to H264, and it doesn't have any issue with multiple H264 streams. Avatar and the Matrix are examples of the raw MKVs being a bit "too much" for the CPU. Who knows... Could be improved by software or something like that, but for now, when I find a problem MKV, I just have a special folder where I put my MKVs in... that way, I at least keep the raw MKVs for later, if I get a better CPU or something, and I have the H264 files accessible via Plex. This has only been an issue for like one in 10 blu ray rips.... So far I'm happy with the Avoton chip, and whenever its successor comes out, that should be the "perfect" CPU for all transcoding while staying fanless and low power.

Ricky

Dabbler
@hungarianhc Thanks for your information. I think MKV is video container format, which is like avi. It doesn't indicate which video codecs it uses. It may be possible that MKV uses H.264 codecs.

I checked Intel ARK page on atom C2X58 (here). This serie atom doesn't have VPU. So transcoding is done by CPU. If possible, try to transcoding H.264 to xvid or vp9.

hungarianhc

Patron
@hungarianhc Thanks for your information. I think MKV is video container format, which is like avi. It doesn't indicate which video codecs it uses. It may be possible that MKV uses H.264 codecs.

I checked Intel ARK page on atom C2X58 (here). This serie atom doesn't have VPU. So transcoding is done by CPU. If possible, try to transcoding H.264 to xvid or vp9.
Understood that MKV is just a container format - So it's some codec on certain blu rays - haven't investigated as not worth it... In terms of what I should try transcoding w/, I'm a plex user, and i just go w/ whatever they use.

djlax152

Dabbler
Hi guys, I was wondering about this Mobo (Supermicro MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O) myself, I was actually trying to choose between this board and the ASRock Intel Avoton C2750. They both look like they support up to 64GB of RAM which is awesome for future proofing, and the CPU looks relatively the same. the main difference that i see is that the Supermicro has 4x 1GB LAN ports. My only concern with that is that i see Newegg's spec description describes the onboad lan chipset as (C2000 SoC I354 Quad GbE Controller (MACs)). Has anyone ever heard of this chipset? is it intel?

Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset
C2000 SoC I354 Quad GbE Controller (MACs)
Wish I would have seen this thread. This avaton board is a much better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182855

djlax152

Dabbler
Hi All!

Switching from a Synology... Really pumped to build my own FreeNAS box. I think I have read all the guides pretty closely so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. I'll be using the server as a Plex Media Server, a Time Machine backup for 4 Macs, an FTP server, and a BTsync machine for syncing files with other machines.

Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard (Avoton FTW!)
RAM: 4 x 8GB Crucial Memory Ct102472bd160b 8gb Ddr3 1600 ECC 4x16GB Wintec ECC DDR3 1600 (64GB total)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25
PSU: Seasonic ST55F-G 550W Power Supply
Drives: 5 x 4TB drives ~ 3 WD RED 4TB drives and 2 Samsung NAS 4TB drives
USB flash drives: 3 x Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8GB

I'm pretty excited! Looking forward to the feedback!

How is that Asrock board working out for you? any compatibility\performance issues you are seeing? was thinking about this same board for my NAS, also what are you primarily using your NAS for? what kind of load do you put on it?

Thanks for your time I appreciate it!

Nindustries

Patron
How is that Asrock board working out for you? any compatibility\performance issues you are seeing? was thinking about this same board for my NAS, also what are you primarily using your NAS for? what kind of load do you put on it?

Thanks for your time I appreciate it!
As stated multiple times in the forums (it even has it's own topic!), the board works just fine with FreeNAS.
Some noted hot-swap problems on the Marvell controller, but haven't experienced this yet myself so meh.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you sure that's not registered RAM? If it is registered, replace it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.