Critique my new build: Avoton Based :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
Hi All!

Switching from a Synology... Really pumped to build my own FreeNAS box. I think I have read all the guides pretty closely so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. I'll be using the server as a Plex Media Server, a Time Machine backup for 4 Macs, an FTP server, and a BTsync machine for syncing files with other machines.

Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard (Avoton FTW!)
RAM: 4 x 8GB Crucial Memory Ct102472bd160b 8gb Ddr3 1600 ECC 4x16GB Wintec ECC DDR3 1600 (64GB total)
Case: Lian-Li PC-Q25
PSU: Seasonic ST55F-G 550W Power Supply
Drives: 5 x 4TB drives ~ 3 WD RED 4TB drives and 2 Samsung NAS 4TB drives
USB flash drives: 3 x Kingston DataTraveler Micro 8GB

I'm pretty excited! Looking forward to the feedback!

beemaster

Dabbler
1. Avoton FTW! Really interesting how well it performs. Post your benchmarks after you build the system.
2. 4 x 8GB = 32GB total :)
3. You don't need 550W PSU. 350W is more than enough.
4. Not much room for potential expansion with that case, it can handle only 7 HDD as I can see.
5. Why do you need 3 usb flash drives?

hungarianhc

Patron
1. Avoton FTW! Really interesting how well it performs. Post your benchmarks after you build the system.
2. 4 x 8GB = 32GB total :)
3. You don't need 550W PSU. 350W is more than enough.
4. Not much room for potential expansion with that case, it can handle only 7 HDD as I can see.
5. Why do you need 3 usb flash drives?

2) Whoops! My mistake on the RAM. I updated it to the RAM that I'll actually be using. I copied an old line item before.
3) True. However, it's not like it will actually use 550W. It will still run at a low power rating. The reason why I chose it is because it has great reviews, but more importantly, is only 140mm deep. I need the clearance in the case.
4) I'm not too worried about that. I only have about 5TB of data right now. This build will give me 12TB usable space. At some point in the future, I can upgrade all the drives to 6TB to expand to 18TB of space. Beyond that, I'll figure it out :).
5) This was in the hardware guide... I believe it's a sticky. One for the OS, one for backup, and one for upgrades, I believe.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. I have over 40TB, and 32GB of RAM was plenty for me!

hungarianhc

Patron
Thanks for the feedback, all. I kinda wanted 64GB just to max it out, but if you have 40TB of data with 32GB of RAM, and it's working just fine, I guess there is literally zero reason to go with 64GB of RAM... unless would FreeNAS automatically use more of it as a cache?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS will use as much as you give it. But, there's a point at which you won't see much of a benefit. Personally, 32GB is pretty much as much as you'll ever need for home use unless you plan to run VMs from your pool. I'd just drop 32GB in and if/when you need more for performance/epeen/whatever reasons then spend the money.

hungarianhc

Patron
FreeNAS will use as much as you give it. But, there's a point at which you won't see much of a benefit. Personally, 32GB is pretty much as much as you'll ever need for home use unless you plan to run VMs from your pool. I'd just drop 32GB in and if/when you need more for performance/epeen/whatever reasons then spend the money.

Thanks for keeping me grounded. My geek-ness wanted a machine w/ 64GB of RAM. For what I'm doing, I'll see zero benefit in that. Heck, even though I'm replacing a Synology, I'm pretty happy with it right now, and it only has 4GB RAM :smile:. I know ZFS needs more RAM so it's not apples to apples, but still.

c0re

Dabbler
I know this thread is a month old, but I think you may have a problem. Is that Wintec memory registered or unbuffered? I think Avoton only supports ECC unbufferred memory and that Wintec is ECC Registered.

I believe the only first 16GB ECC unbuffered memory modules will be manufactured by Intelligenet Memory: http://embedded.communities.intel.com/thread/7000 and production should be starting more or less now.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't want you to order $700 of memory that doesn't work with your new build (which should be awesome btw!)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
what are the 3 usbs for?
I'm pumped by these new atom chips, im gonna get C2558 for a pfsense build soon.

D4nthr4x

Explorer

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Why? It is a 2758 with laptop DIMM's and half as many ports.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
they have 2758/2558 with regular dimms too. I guess it depends if your using this as a nas or router what ports matter. also these will perform a bit worse because they don't have turbo boost

D4nthr4x

Explorer
Why? It is a 2758 with laptop DIMM's and half as many ports.

Ah I just read 5 drives I didn't see the others listed for some reason, mostly price for performance. If you are using 6 or less drives it's better, also the sodimm ddr3 ecc is cheaper than the full size dimms and has been for a while. Also supermicro is a better manufacturer than asrock.

D4nthr4x

Explorer
they have 2758/2558 with regular dimms too. I guess it depends if your using this as a nas or router what ports matter. also these will perform a bit worse because they don't have turbo boost

My avaton is set to turbo boost up to 2.6ghz I have the c2758 so that looks like more of a spec sheet limitation than a real limitation.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
My avaton is set to turbo boost up to 2.6ghz I have the c2758 so that looks like more of a spec sheet limitation than a real limitation.

Really? I guess the only difference is the chipset then, sata ports instead of network ports? Either way, these should handle most tasks fine.

Ricky

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm going to use SuperMicro A1SRM-2558F to build NAS. My concern is the capability of atom CPU. Is it OK to run Plex media server and do some video transcoding work?

Hi All!

Switching from a Synology... Really pumped to build my own FreeNAS box. I think I have read all the guides pretty closely so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. I'll be using the server as a Plex Media Server, a Time Machine backup for 4 Macs, an FTP server, and a BTsync machine for syncing files with other machines.

I'm pretty excited! Looking forward to the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.