New mobo, or CPU & mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

willnx

Dabbler
I picked up a used 2U supermicro server for a great price, and thought it would make a great base for a home FreeNAS server. Here's the basic guts:

X8DTN+
2x Xeon 5520
12x 2GB ECC PC3-10600R Ram

I bought a norco 20bay 4U RPC-4020 to stuff the gear from that supermicro server into, but I derped up, and misread the size of the X8DTN+ (Enhanced Extended ATX, 4U box only supports up to Extended ATX).

Now I'm at a bit of a cross road as the mobo doesn't fit into the 4U chassis;

Should I buy just a new mobo for the 2x 1366 Nehalem procs
or
Get a new CPU and Mobo

Thanks for your opinion.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, 2x 15366 Xeons are a bit of an overkill for FreeNAS unless you intend to run jails that have serious CPU needs or you want all those RAM slots.

willnx

Dabbler
Even for larger arrays?

I'm thinking of making a volume of 3x raidz2 aggrogates from 6-3TB HDDs (54TB of space before those that damn GiB vs GB reduction... grumble...) . Would a 4 core 2.5 GHz intel choke on that? If not, then I'll totally re-purpose this 2U box for something more fun.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, that's not very big. My server is almost that big and I have an E3-1230v2. ;)

Size of the pool matters for RAM.. and more CPUs(and more expensive E5s) support more RAM. Once you start talking CPUs that are Xeons in the last 3-5 years their processing power isn't as big of a factor as RAM for larger and larger servers.

Now, with 54TB of disk space, you may want more than 32GB of RAM, but that doesn't mean you need a $1000 processor(or even multiple processors).

For me, even during scrubs of both of my pools my CPU usage doesn't even hit 30%. :P

joelmusicman

Patron
(54TB of space before those that damn GiB vs GB reduction... grumble...)

Just to nitpick, you're not losing any space, it's just a different way of measuring it... 1024 vs 1000 and all that. If you drop from 2.54cm to 1 inch, it's exactly the same.

I'll echo what CJ said... If your budget allows I'd build a different box for NAS and put ESXi on the one you're talking about now. But it's really easy to spend other people's money! :)

willnx

Dabbler
I know I'm not losing space on disk, and that it's an accounting difference - by reduction I really meant human vs computer measure.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to figure out something fun for the 2 proc box, and get something more sensible for FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.