SOLVED CPU/MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Hi there,

Background info (feel free to skip)
I've been working with a simple web server recently to back up my files, but it's far from ideal. Therefor, I'm looking to upgrade my current situation to a (decent) FreeNas box, which I intend to build myself (mostly for customisability and cost saving purposes). I've spent the last couple of days researching what hardware to get, and have a pretty good idea of what to get. I'm now simply looking for some alternatives to the system I have picked out right now, for some more cost-cutting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do wish to stick with the Mini-ITX form factor.

My current pick
Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I
CPU: Intel Atom C2750 (integrated)
RAM: 16GB Kingston KVR16R11D4/16HB DD3 ECC Memory
Storage: 2x 3TB Western Digital Red
PSU: Corsair VS350

My current build will cost me approximately $880 (excluding a case), and I'm looking to cut costs without (noticeably) losing performance. The Motherboard/CPU combo will set me back $475 alone, so I'm thinking I should be able to cut some costs there.

Question
I was hoping some of you guys could suggest some (better) motherboard/cpu combos that would decrease the price (I'm hoping to cut approximately $200).

Requirements:
  • [MOBO] Mini-ITX form factor
  • [CPU] >= 2.0GHz clock speed
  • [CPU] >= 4 Cores
  • [CPU/MOBO] Integrated Graphics

Discussion
I've chosen the Corsair VS350 PSU because it's the cheapest power supply (in my region) that'll handle the load, and is known to be very reliable (personal experience).

I've chosen the 3TB Western Digital Red drives as they're specifically designed for NAS usage, have great reliability and performance, and are the cheapest (price/GB) available (in my region).

I've chosen the Kingston KVR16R11D4/16HB memory because I specifically wanted at least 16GB of ECC memory that is supported by both the motherboard and processor, and this stick is the cheapest available (in my region).

If you have any comments about these parts, keeping the above in mind, please do post them below!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Updated parts list

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
Motherboard: ASRock Rack C226M WS
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G
Storage: 2x 3TB Western Digital Red
Case: Antes ISK600M
PSU: Corsair VS350 80Plus

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Your choice of mini ITX has you ham strung, those boards are built with size as a major priority
and therefore are more costly. Look at micro ATX to get your cost savings.

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Your choice of mini ITX has you ham strung, those boards are built with size as a major priority
and therefore are more costly. Look at micro ATX to get your cost savings.
I realise that, but I have yet to find a decent (= small, good looking, efficient (airflow & size efficient) and cheap) Micro-ATX case. Have you got any good Micro-ATX suggestions?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Beauty is in the eye of the shopper. Good luck.
Sorry, I may have not been clear enough. I was asking for suggestions for processors and motherboards, not cases. If it makes a huge difference, I can always decide on a case later.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I really can not be of much help to you. I have no knowledge of the Euro
market for computer components. I was simply pointing out that the
smaller the PCB, the more it sells for. I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding
regarding the case.
This Intel pentium CPU supports ECC memory and has decent speed and would
fit your needs (possibly). I'm looking for a motherboard matching this cpu (from this same site).

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Jasper9714

Dabbler
I really can not be of much help to you. I have no knowledge of the Euro
market for computer components. I was simply pointing out that the
smaller the PCB, the more it sells for. I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding
regarding the case.
This Intel pentium CPU supports ECC memory and has decent speed and would
fit your needs (possibly). I'm looking for a motherboard this cpu (from this same site).
This Supermicro model is very popular here in the forums.
Looking at my previous configuration, it's an Octa-Core 2.4GHz processor which ships for about $170-200 on a Mini-ITX motherboard (which is the remaining $275). Changing to this, I'm simply downgrading the CPU, resulting in a lower price. I don't quite need an Octa-Core, but I would like to have at least a Quad-Core. Looking at prices for that, I'm most likely going to be left with an Intel Xeon E3-1220 v3, which brings the price back up to $200 for the processor, meaning I'd pay the same amount of money for half the cores.

Do you know of any (still being manufactured) LGA1150 socket Quad-Cores that don't cost $200?

Jasper9714

Dabbler
@BigDave I just found the ASRock C2550D4I (with a 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Atom C2550), which saves me about $125, so it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'd be great to shave off a little more though.

ChriZ

Patron
An Asrock Rack socket 1150 mini itx motherboard (e.g. the E3C226D2I) combined with a cheap Pentium CPU will save you about 150 bucks, I believe.
Even if you combine it with a more capable i3 cpu, I believe the price will still be cheaper than $475.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@BigDave I just found the ASRock C2550D4I (with a 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Atom C2550), which saves me about $125, so it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'd be great to shave off a little more though.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/supermicro-x10sll-f
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...ghz-base-35ghz-turbo-8mb-cache-80w-cpu-retail
this combo cost 319.00 incl VAT
I guess the difference maker may be the cost of the RAM for those two boards...
EDIT:
My suggestion will take 32GB memory... (four RAM slots)

Last edited:

Jasper9714

Dabbler
An Asrock Rack socket 1150 mini itx motherboard (e.g. the E3C226D2I) combined with a cheap Pentium CPU will save you about 150 bucks, I believe.
Even if you combine it with a more capable i3 cpu, I believe the price will still be cheaper than $475.
The problem is that I can't find a cheap Quad-Core CPU that'll fit on the LGA1150 socket. The cheapest I can find is 200$, combined with the 200$ for the motherboard is still $400. Then, if I get the parts in my area, it'll add right up to that $475 I was at previously.

Jasper9714

Dabbler

ChriZ

Patron
The problem is that I can't find a cheap Quad-Core CPU that'll fit on the LGA1150 socket. The cheapest I can find is 200$, combined with the 200$ for the motherboard is still $400. Then, if I get the parts in my area, it'll add right up to that $475 I was at previously.
This brings us to my next question: Why bother with a quad core?
A cheap Pentium is more than enough (for a simple NAS - even with a couple of jails)
For more power this i3
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...gt-s-dmi-1150mhz-gpu-37x-ratio-54w-cpu-retail (2cores plus HT) is a major upgrade, and still well under $200

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The 319 you found is in GBP (pounds), which converts to $473. I've messed about with that motherboard before on PcPartsPicker, but no luck.
:(

@Jasper9714
Will you be using Samba CIFS for your shares over the network? If you are, samba is single threaded and therefore
you need processor speed rather than cores. In other words, a quad core/octa core does not matter as much as a
fast cpu. Bottom line is a pentium @ 3+ GHz is MUCH better than 2.4GHz whatever cpu.

Jasper9714

Dabbler
What are you doing with the NAS that requires four cores? Maybe two cores is enough.

ChriZ

Patron
Valid point, but that i3 is still a lot faster than the octacore expensive 2750 atom which was your first choice.
And if there are plans to reuse it in the future, then perhaps you should follow BigDave's advice and ditch the mini itx factor, since by design offers very limited expandability (and this fact will most likely be the bottleneck in case you reuse it and not a lesser CPU)

Jasper9714

Dabbler
Valid point, but that i3 is still a lot faster than the octacore expensive 2750 atom which was your first choice.
And if there are plans to reuse it in the future, then perhaps you should follow BigDave's advice and ditch the mini itx factor, since by design offers very limited expandability (and this fact will most likely be the bottleneck in case you reuse it and not a lesser CPU)
I'm currently at the C2550 Atom, which (Mobo + integrated Intel Atom C2550) is $315. Most decent Mini-ITX or Micro-ITX motherboards are $150ish, but cost $200+ where I live, leaving me with $115 for a processor. The money I'll save by getting a dual-core instead of a quad-core is negligible compared to the price the motherboard costs. I'm now looking for a cheaper mobo that'll support a dual-core, to see if I can make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.