New member of 'HBA' card user club..

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I just finished switching from a generic (likely made in China) cheap RAID card to a proper Host Bus Adapter card. The one I chose is https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSURZYS and was a simple matter of swapping cards and re-connecting the new HBA to SATA cables. I have nine hard drives, so one (the first one I believe) is still attached to the motherboard SATA socket, as are my SSDs and DVD drive. The other eight HDDs are all comfortably humming with the new card. If I had fewer drives, they'd all be handled by the HBA, I cannot add another HBA unless I were to switch from an intel ethernet card to the realtek ethernet on the motherboard which I'd rather not.

The first boot took a few extra moments for the "BIOS" on the motherboard to recognize where the boot drive was and possibly to adopt the new HBA card.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What about an expander card?... they have some that don't use a PCI slot. Your HBA is capable of controlling over 100 HDDs, so why not let it take more?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
What I've come across which may be nearly the same runs about $300 which is quite a lot primarily for one HDD, though all four SATA devices would be satisfied. I also looked for Mini SAS to SATA cables greater than 1 to 4, and none seem to exist.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess it would only make sense if you need a lot more ports... good to keep in mind in future.

Indeed there are no breakout cables that do more than 4 SATA from a SAS port. But you can send a single SAS cable to an expander and run many breakout cables from it.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
The only other option is a pci card that had 3 SAS ports even though that may also be overkill given how potent each port is.

Such a pity they do not really market HBA tech to the average consumer. If only Microsoft were to adopt ZFS, there would be a little more influence to avoid the usual RAID cards, but that also assumes Microsoft truly understood ZFS to make such a push.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Yeah.. It was done sort of on a whim. Too much time sitting around.

Also figured I may as well, since I had a weird temporary failed drive. I had removed it booted back up to be certain I didn't then have two detached drives, but it told me resilvering and showed I believe no errors. Either I had removed the correct drive or there was nothing actually wrong. I put the drive back as it had been, rebooted a second time and it eventually finished resilvering, no errors at all now. I did recall seeing 32 checksum errors indicated for a drive at one point, then 8 later on, but I wasn't ever sure which drive it had been or if it were two different drives. Around the same time it seemed that my power supply was running its fan a bit more often than it had, so I have also replaced that, went from 1080 to 1200 watt. Everything is humming the way it should now. If anything happens to a HDD, I do have two spares to replace in their shipping boxes not yet used.