The new LSI SAS/SATA Card for Desktop PC? [SAS9211-8I 8PORT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsc106

Cadet
Hello all!

I have a 2012 home build PC running Windows 10 with the following key components (rest of details in my sig):

Asus Rampage Extreme IV mobo:
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/As...ta-6Gb-s-Usb-3-0-Atx-Intel-Motherbo/495828883

Lian Li A71F Case (pics here):
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112343

I have a whole bunch of HDDs and am out of SATA ports, need/want to add more SATA ports.

Looking at picking up this new LSI card [SAS9211-8I 8PORT Int 6GB Sata+sas Pcie 2.0]
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL8I7M/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1M9Q2WB0F8EVB

As I understand, I flash to IT mode to disable Hardware RAID and then add a couple of these SAS-SATA breakout cables so I can just use it as another SATA controller?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_11?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ

This is the old/crappy 4-port SATA card I am upgrading from. The new LSI card would replace these 4 ports + add 4 more:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R0DZWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Currently this card is just supporting 1x HDD and 2x Optical Blu-Ray drives, so wasn't be stressed much, but I am looking at adding a few HGST 8tb-10tb HDDs

If that LSI card is the one to get, a few questions:

Do I need to do anything to manage thermals? I understand the card may run very hot. If so, any instructions online and product recommendations for affixing a new fan or a new heatsink? I am relatively computer savvy, but haven't done this on an add-on card before, so any guidance would be helpful. The case has decent airflow and the CPU is on the Corsair H80 liquid cool, but this is not a server case and there is no air blowing directly over where the new card would be. And with all my internal HDDs and the GTX 1080 TI I am aware that adding another big heat source could be problematic.

Any additional considerations here? I understanding by flashing to IT mode and turning off Hardware RAID, in the event of card failure, I will not need to replace with the exact same card to retrieve data. As I understand this would also be a great card in terms of both performance and reliability? The reason I am looking at this card over one of the cheap $30 SATA add in cards is (A) I need more than 4 ports and (B) I am concerned about performance and RELIABILITY on the LSI cards, as I rely on the drives for work.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Stux

MVP
Are you running FreeNAS?

dsc106

Cadet
No, Windows 10. (sorry that detail was in my sig, should have put in main. Added to post.). I was referred here by others from Anandtech saying it would be the best source for my question.

chris crude

Patron
Using RAID capabilities in Windows isn't an issue. Even the cheapest RAID cards have a management window to check disc health/SMART data, etc. FreeNAS manages discs differently and that's why you want to flash them to IT mode.

dsc106

Cadet
Huh?

The point is I don't WANT Raid...

Or, are you saying its fine to leave RAID mode enabled for use on standard/traditional SATA port use? What I am worried about is a card failure (unlikely, but still) and then only being able to retrieve data by using an identical card, instead of just plugging a drive into any SATA port.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Using RAID capabilities in Windows isn't an issue. Even the cheapest RAID cards have a management window to check disc health/SMART data, etc. FreeNAS manages discs differently and that's why you want to flash them to IT mode.
That said, if you're doing that storage spaces thing, IT mode is probably what you'd want.
Huh?

Or, are you saying its fine to leave RAID mode enabled for use on standard/traditional SATA port use? What I am worried about is a card failure (unlikely, but still) and then only being able to retrieve data by using an identical card, instead of just plugging a drive into any SATA port.
Yeah, sounds like you want IT mode.

As for thermals, the card just needs some airflow over the heatsink. If that's not a given in your chassis, a small Noctua fan cable tied to the heatsink will do the trick.

Also, I'm moving this thread somewhere more appropriate.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
By the way, can you get us a link to anandtech forums thread you mentioned?

chris crude

Patron
Huh?

So many people come into these forums using a RAID card in FreeNAS that maybe I jumped to conclusions. Sorry. If you want to use IT mode in Windows, that will work perfectly well. I was merely stating that it's not needed in Windows as it is in FreeNAS.

dsc106

Cadet

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah. And those cables are correct, you need forward breakout cables, which are, unfortunately, visually indistinguishable from reverse breakout cables.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ok cool, thanks. So it's a go on the LSI card for my needs?

And then just these SAS-SATA break-outs?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fl_title_11?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ
Yes. That looks like it would work fine. I have actually done that in a Windows 10 system. I have not tried running CD / DVD / BlueRay from one of the SAS cards though. You might want to put those drives on system board ports and just connect your hard disk drives to the SAS card.
One thing to keep in mind. Your boot drive can't be on the SAS card.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Also, those skinny cables like that are very fragile. Don't be cranking on them with zip ties or folding them trying to make it look neat or you will break the internal connectors and start getting CRC errors like mad.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In Windows, you could probably leave the card as is, but it would also work if you flash it to IT mode.
Be sure to keep plenty of airflow on the hard drives and over the heat-sync on the card. Expect the card to run between 40 and 50 degrees C, but for best life of the hard drives, you want to keep them around 35C. Be sure to install the SMART monitoring tools in Windows.
https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your boot drive can't be on the SAS card.
Sure it can, but that requires the BIOS/UEFI extension ROM and probably some fiddling with the registry in Windows to set the LSI driver to load before execution is handed over to the kernel (much like what is needed when moving between AHCI and IDE compatibility modes).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sure it can, but that requires the BIOS/UEFI extension ROM and probably some fiddling with the registry in Windows to set the LSI driver to load before execution is handed over to the kernel (much like what is needed when moving between AHCI and IDE compatibility modes).
Yes, the fixing of Windows boot is the reason I said that. I wouldn't want to give advice that might make the system not boot. I have set systems up like that many times. Even back in the Windows NT days where you had to use a floppy disk to load a driver during the installation process so the OS could see the SCSI controller to be able to detect a drive for installation. But to keep the working system working, just leave the boot drive where it is.
No warranty, no refunds.

dsc106

Cadet
Thank you so much all! Great info.

Are there better, stronger cables you might recommend/link to than the ones I linked if they look fragile?

Regarding the Noctua fan to attach via cable tie, what size/model might you recommend/link to?

Much thanks!! This is great.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you so much all! Great info.

Are there better, stronger cables you might recommend/link to than the ones I linked if they look fragile?

Regarding the Noctua fan to attach via cable tie, what size/model might you recommend/link to?

Much thanks!! This is great.
I have six sets of those cables myself. I don't just think they are fragile, I accidently bent one too much during installation and that port doesn't work properly now.
These are thicker cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001L9DU88/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BU3RU57RWLDF

I have two sets like this and they appear to hold up better to being handled. The others are great if you are going to put them (carefully) into a server chassis with hot-swap bays and never handle them again. If you are working inside a regular computer chassis, and trying to route the cables around to make it neat, these will probably do better for you.

I used a 40mm fan on one of these cards one time when I had a concern about the airflow, but it is going to make it almost two slots wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.