SAS ports look like SATA ports!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
So I'm thinking of picking up the Supermicro X9SRH-7F because of various reasons. However, I noticed that the "SAS2" ports look like SATA ports. Anybody know what's up with this? My hope was being able to use those mini-SAS to 4x SATA cables. But, those connectors look like SFF8087 which don't look like they're supposed to be connected to that SATA looking SAS2 port.

Any ideas?

Mamaboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AK27FYM/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1CCMLARIFEY2T

mini-SAS to SATA Cables: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...rd_wg=98bS7&psc=1&refRID=D0369B1Q6KTPM60PNFN3

Arwen

MVP
It depends on what kind of disks and disk backplane you have / will have.

For example, if your backplane has SATA connectors and you intend to use SATA disks, then you don't need to worry about SAS cabling. You are stuck with SATA cables and their length limits. But, if you use a disk backplane with a SAS 2 or 3 expander on it, then you use a reverse SAS breakout cable. And of any length up to 10 meters, (the SAS limit).

If you have not read this thread, please do so;

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-sas-sy-a-primer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/

PS - No new installs should use a SAS 1 expander, it has a 2TB disk size limitation.
PPS - Oh, and have a manapua for me. I miss those living on the mainland.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

ChriZ

Patron
Judging by the fact that OP wanted to use sff-8087 to sata, I assume no sas backplane. In this case, OP, consider your self lucky - you don't need to buy additional cables, lol.
Simply connect your drives to the blue ports with regular sata cables and you're good...

danb35

Hall of Famer
Simply connect your drives to the blue ports with regular sata cables and you're good...
Exactly this.

The SAS ports give you flexibility. If you're hooking up individual drives, just use standard SATA cables. If you have an expander backplane, use a reverse breakout cable from four of the blue ports to the mini-SAS port on the backplane, and that will work too.

Stux

MVP
Hope your reasons are good. I'd look at the x10 and X11 equivalents.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
Judging by the fact that OP wanted to use sff-8087 to sata, I assume no sas backplane. In this case, OP, consider your self lucky - you don't need to buy additional cables, lol.
Exactly this.

The SAS ports give you flexibility. If you're hooking up individual drives, just use standard SATA cables. If you have an expander backplane, use a reverse breakout cable from four of the blue ports to the mini-SAS port on the backplane, and that will work too.

Thanks for the clear answer. I'm noob on the SAS deal. Yes, I plan to just use SATA drives. So, I can directly connect a SATA drive to the SAS2 port via SATA cable. However, can I use that SFF-8087 cable to hook up more than one SATA drive to a single SAS2 port without an exapnder? Or am I stuck to just one SATA drive per SAS2 port if I don't use an expander?

Essentially, my goal is to fill my Rosewill RSV-L4500 case's 15 bays with all storage drives using as little PCI and extra backboard crap as possible.

Binary Buddha

Contributor

Binary Buddha

Contributor
PPS - Oh, and have a manapua for me. I miss those living on the mainland.

Manapua? Das Chinky! I'm Kona Grown. It's all about the laulau and kalua pig!

danb35

Hall of Famer

Arwen

MVP
x10 and X11?
The Supermicro system board X9SRH-7F is an older model. The current generations are X10 and X11. Basically the
newer Xeon X3-xxxx V6 needed a newer board, for things like DDR4 memory. Thus, some of the X11 boards were
designed and manufactured for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.