New Freenas Setup HP Microserver gen8

Status
Not open for further replies.

boynep

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

Recently got a hp gen8 microserver. Currently waiting for my 16gig of ecc ram and one 3tb wd red hd.

I would like to use this with 3 x 3tb hd on Raidz(i already have 2) in one pool which will store all my data and 1 x 1tb single hd pool which will be used as time machine backup disk for my mac air and mac pro. Since both of my computers will be backing up to crashplan as well. I don't need redundancy.

The main purpose of this box will be to serve files to 10-15 devices around the house use crashplan to backup all the data on raidz pool and occasion download server.

Now, the queations I have is how would you setup?

Should I create a dataset inside the pool first volume and do cifs share which has the limitation of 80% total pool size max so that zfs can function properly ? Or, do I just not limit the size and keep an eye out for total free space so, I don't let it get full.

Your suggestions and tips would be really appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Should I create a dataset inside the pool first volume and do cifs share which has the limitation of 80% total pool size max so that zfs can function properly ? Or, do I just not limit the size and keep an eye out for total free space so, I don't let it get full..

Setting a quota can be useful, but note that writes will halt once the quota is reached. Also note that you will get a system alert automatically when the pool reaches 80% (and writes are not stopped if there isn't a quota).

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you haven't even started your build and think you will hit the pool size limit then you need to build it bigger. You are going to have maybe 5TiB of storage to work with plus your single drive.

I'm also going to point out your wording is a little incorrect. Cifs share don't have a limitation of 80%. Freenas just warns you at 80% to tell you things are getting full and you should fix it. This is because at 90% zfs starts to get a little slower.

boynep

Dabbler
If you haven't even started your build and think you will hit the pool size limit then you need to build it bigger. You are going to have maybe 5TiB of storage to work with plus your single drive.

I'm also going to point out your wording is a little incorrect. Cifs share don't have a limitation of 80%. Freenas just warns you at 80% to tell you things are getting full and you should fix it. This is because at 90% zfs starts to get a little slower.

Ok, I was thinking zfs will start to get slower around 80% mark and I was planning for that. Good to know I get a warning. Also, at this planned storage should last 3-4 years at least. I was just planning ahead. I will see how I go with this and if needed I will setup another machine if I need more storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.