New cheap Asus XG-C100C NIC

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Supermicro wouldn't do anything. However, Benno Rice was working on a FreeBSD driver for the chipset.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
To clarify: Supermicro's expertise lies far away from writing drivers. It's up to the chipset vendor and/or communities.

I got a couple of the Aquantia’s NICs on black friday sale and for try I ended up virtualizing FreeNAS on top of Proxmox which supports the Aquantia 10Gb NICs. I setup the NIC as VirtIO, passed the SATA drives and mounted my ZFS pools natively under the virtualized FreeNAS and re-set all of my SMB shares. I'm getting pretty much full 10Gb speed over SMB - a disk speed test on the mounted share shows sequential writes/read speeds of 1.1GB/s

I'll probably keep this setup for a while and see how it performs (it's a home setup so my reliability requirements are less stringent than a production setup though), but i still do have my USB sticks with FreeNAS install ready to pop them in if the virtualized environment has any hiccups.

Last edited:

Hachima

Cadet
I was able to use the official FreeBSD driver from the Aquantia website. I did have to make some modifications to the source code in order to get it to compile on a clean install FreeNAS setup. The vendors driver code references features only included in FreeBSD 12 so I had to remove those references (5 lines). There were also some include statements that needed to be added to a few of the files.

RBarbara

Cadet
I was able to use the official FreeBSD driver from the Aquantia website. I did have to make some modifications to the source code in order to get it to compile on a clean install FreeNAS setup. The vendors driver code references features only included in FreeBSD 12 so I had to remove those references (5 lines). There were also some include statements that needed to be added to a few of the files.

Hachima, how did you managed to get it to work?
Did you use this driver: https://github.com/Aquantia/aqtion-freebsd ?

gg6020

Cadet
Hi Hachima, any chance sharing the modified driver/install instructions for N00bs like me?

crkinard

Explorer
Using v.5 (on 11.3 FreeNAS) now without issue.

Granted only using it at 5GB. The device on the other end is a QNAP USB3.0 5GB adapter.

crkinard

Explorer
Just wanted to say after messing with this for a while I am only getting a hair over half the speed I should be getting.

Only seeing ~260MB/sec transfers.

crkinard

Explorer
I ordered a X550-T2. Hopefully be here this week and will conduct some testing with that.

Already tried the QNAP adapter on another machine. With a 15 foot CAT7 and a 5 foot CAT6. Same speeds all around.

crkinard

Explorer
Well the bottleneck does not seem to be the network card on the FreeNAS side. Got the X550-T2 in and installed. Speeds are basically the same.

Had one test hit 280 but nothing ever broke 300.

Wish I had another computer with a free PCIe slot to rule out this USB adapter which I am thinking is the real issue now.

Robertr

Dabbler
Sorry about posting on an old thread but I would like to see if there's been any progress.
Apparently the last Mac Pro's have this chip and the card (Asus XG-C100C) works out of box on MacOS.
I haven't tested myself yet but I'm thinking of getting a card for my hackintosh.

Mike77

Contributor
No problem. No I haven't seen any new drivers for the Asus card. Buy Is Just found another one that alsof costs lees then €100,-- and should have freebsd drivers. It's an uptimed.

UP-10G-W-AQC107-1RJ45

Ik don't have one myself. Buy maybe someone on forum knows about it.

Robertr

Dabbler
Ok, I just realised this card also use the Aquantia chipset.
Great to see more cards on the market.
I also read somewhere thatTrueNAS 12 might have drivers for this chipset and would like to know more about that.:smile:

SD298

Cadet
Is there anyone using this NIC successfully?
I am not able to install plugins with DHCP on. It says that ip received from DHCP server is 0.0.0.0/8.
But, from server logs it is giving proper ip. And working fine with other NIC (Realtek).
Is there any way to resolve?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
TrueNAS 13 might have a better driver, it’s in RC right now if you want to give it a try. However, keep in mind that these NICs are likely never going to be as stable as Intel or Chelsio, if early experiences are any indication.

CJRoss

Contributor
I'm using it in my linux desktop but I ended up returning the ones I had bought for my BSD appliances and switching to Mellanox cards.