New Build

jools72

Dabbler
Hi there!
Well, I finally got round to sorting out a new build (sort of). My old personal pc would no longer update Windows 10. Got as far as build 1909 then *nope*. Pc couldn't take any more. After trying everything I could think of (and a few things I Googled) I decided that the likely scenario is that the motherboard was old enough to no longer support Windows. Lord knows I tried everything else. Stripping out all hardware to bare bones, driver updates etc. It was time for a new machine.
So I built myself a nice AMD based pc. ASUS X570 mobo with a Ryzen7 3700X, 16GB Ram but I held back on the GPU. Prices and availability right now are ridiculous so I will make do with my Nvidia card for now. The second I fired up, build 20H2 installed with nary an issue.

So. What to do with my old pc? Why make a NEW Truenas pc to house my pools! And what a move it was.
From the start, it was a better experience than when I built my AMD based rig. The AMD box was too bottlenecked and I had to create the boot drive on my Intel pc. Not so now!!
Small niggle to start, the Intel BIOS was happy to boot in UEFI for WINDOWS!!!
Truenas it didn't like and I had to revert to Legacy mode. Other than that, I assembled the pc and scavenged the RAM from the AMD box to use in dual channel mode, uploaded the system config and hey presto!!
Didn't even need to import the pools as the box restarted from the config and automatically added the drives. The media server and the VM sprang to life and didn't even blink!

Think I'm getting the hang of this. Now I need a good source of info regarding commands for the shell. I understand it's UNIX based? Any pointers for a good resource in idiot grade English?

Catch you all later and thanks for any tips!!!

Arwen

MVP
Don't have a good source to learn Unix, (or FreeBSD to be more precise).

But, if you are an "idiot grade" in Unix with ZFS, here are some commands that just examine things, no changes:
Code:
zpool status
zpool list
zfs list
zfs get all
df -h
uname -a
exit

To exit out of top, simple use the "q" character. The exit the shell session, use "exit" command.

In general, we recommend logging into your TrueNAS via SSH, (like with PuTTY, a MS-Windows SSH client), instead of using the GUI shell session. But, you can certainly play with the GUI shell to get an idea of Unix command line.

Part of the reason we don't recommend the GUI shell session, is that it can be hard or impossible to copy output, for later pasting. Like to the forums for further assistance. So people use screen shots of the GUI shell, except that can be either hard to read. Or, problematic in getting it to display in the forums.

Here are 2 resources that may you help learn more about your TrueNAS:

Introduction to ZFS
Terminology and Abbreviations Primer

We, (the FreeNAS / TrueNAS long time users), probably should have an introduction to Unix / FreeBSD / Linux, for people who want to learn beyond the GUI. It probably should be in the Resource section, (I checked Fundamentals, nothing their).