Get access again to pool after upgrade from FreeNAS-11.3 to TrueNAS-13.0-U1.1

Dear TrueNAS community,

After an update from FreeNAS-11.3 to TrueNAS-13.0-U1.1 I try to get access to my pool again with a Windows 7 machine by SMB shares and failed.
Due to several attempts setting new passwords in TrueNAS it is likely, that I messed something up and now I'm completely lost.
I'm a pivate user with only one Windows 7 PC connected to the TrueNAS PC and I have only one big pool with the whole data in it. No further dataset created for additional data. See attached screenshot.

I learned today that with the newer versions of TrueNAS it is no longer possible to change the access rights for a pool in the highes levelin the TrueNAS web front end.
This menu item "Edit Permissions" is greyed out.
If I understood it correctly, it would be better to create further subdirectories under the main pool. But in the past I didn't need it and accessing FreeNas from the Windows 7 computer worked.

I have read how I have to proceed when creating new subfolders in pools ones and to set the rights for users, but it is unclear to me how I can access my existing pool again via Windows and SMB. In Windows I always get an error message that no access is possible if I want to map the pool on the TrueNAS computer
\\192.168.138.10\mnt\NAS, even if I enter what I believe to be the correct my TrueNAS credentials "admin" and "mypassword".
I tried also \\192.168.138.10\NAS and failed with "admin" and "mypassword".
Remark: I changed also my admin password several times in TrueNAS ( I have webacces to TrueNAS), this worked, but it was not possible for me to get this working with SMB at the Windows PC.

I would be very happy if someone could tell me how I could approach this systematically to get access again to my existing pool by SMB.
Unfortunately I don't know about the FreeBSD specific commands that might have to be entered in the TrueNAS shell in this case.

Thank you very much in advance!

(I ommitted my hardware info because I think it's not related to my problem)

Attachments

• 2022-08-11 19_39_42-TrueNAS - 192.168.138.10.png
    2022-08-11 19_39_42-TrueNAS - 192.168.138.10.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 127
Hello homer27081990,

As you indicated I ticked in Services > SMB > Configure >"Enable SMB 1 support" and this solved my problem in just a second!

I spend hours on this before and now I have access again to my pool! Great!
Thank you very very much for your answer!

Have a nice day!

I still have a question because I have read on the Internet about SMB1 support (it's from 2020!)

Upstream samba will eventually remove support for SMB1, but it looks like SMB1 support is still in 4.13-RC1. So this means minimum of 1.5 years of continued support. TrueNAS 12.0 will be based on Samba 4.12. TrueNAS 12.1 will be based on Samba 4.13 (probably).

If this is no longer supported in the future, how could I make my pool fit for the future in terms of SMB?

homer27081990

Patron
This is either a TrueNAS-SMB or a Windows > 8 bug... I faced it myself yesterday, and I have a workstation with Windows 11 set by GPEdit to only allow the newest, safest protocols. I could not make sense of it.

homer27081990

Patron
I don't mean to trouble you, but could you edit the thread prefix as solved? That way it won't be visited by other people looking to help in the future. Thank you and have a nice day!

I'm new here and unfortunately it seems that I have not the right to do this.
I can't edit the headline nor I have a menue with the three points visible.

Do you have a hint for me (I alread searched the forum and nothing helped)
Probably a mod can do this for me?

homer27081990

Patron
I'm new here and unfortunately it seems that I have not the right to do this.
I can't edit the headline nor I have a menue with the three points visible.

Do you have a hint for me (I alread searched the forum and nothing helped)
Probably a mod can do this for me?
Don't worry, a Moderator will get it done. Have a nice day!