Lost access to truenas after upgrade to 13.0-U2 SOLVED!!!

husky1055

Dabbler
I was running version 13.0-U1.1 with plex. Everything was working. So this morning I saw a new upgrade for my truenas and installed 13.0-U2. Then suddenly I cannot access my Media folder. So I checked my group and users permissions/passwords etc... I have been at this for 5 hours and I even restored the config file from 13.-U1.1 and nothing. Read all the other people posts about loosing access and could not find any answer to my own problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Truenas 13.0-U2 did something to my 13.0-U1.1 system as I mentioned above. It was supposed to be just an easy update as I have done so many times before over many years using Truenas. But after the update suddenly can no longer access my samba folder and plexmediaserver. So after several days and countless hours I reverted back to 13.0-U1.1 and after so many groups and users, passwords and jails installs and reinstalls my system is recovered. Frankly I don't exactly know what happened. My faint recollection was I stripped all the ACLs for my pool, using windows and samba to sign in and somehow or other it works. Hope I was only one of the fews who had this problem.

Last edited:

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Can you still log in TrueNAS' WebUI ?
Can you SSH in the box ?
How is your pool ?

We need more than just "it is not working'...

c77dk

Patron
can you boot back into the -U1.1 boot-environment and access the files?

husky1055

Dabbler
Thank you for your quick response. I can log in my truenass with the web-UI. I can see and configure my truenass with the UI. That's what I used to try various permissions and passwords and group and users. Only when using Windows 10 file explorer that I cannot map the network folder media. I am basically lost. I do not know how to go back to 13-U1.1. Assuming I can download 13.0-U1.1 install it and restore the config file saved previously. Mapping the folder Media is my problem. It's really something quite basic.

Heracles

Wizard
Only when using Windows 10 file explorer that I cannot map the network folder media

that sounds like SMB v1.

Do some search about it. Windows 10 now refuses to do SMB v1 for security reasons. Your share are probably over SMB v1 and you need to improve that to SMB v2. I have been Windows-free for too long, I know the problem but do not use SMB at all over here.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
that sounds like SMB v1.

Do some search about it. Windows 10 now refuses to do SMB v1 for security reasons. Your share are probably over SMB v1 and you need to improve that to SMB v2. I have been Windows-free for too long, I know the problem but do not use SMB at all over here.
There also appears to be some software some users have installed in Windows that downgrades security settings (forcing NTLMv1 auth on the client). I see this in a significant number of cases where users can access via Linux but not Windows.