New Build Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreyj900

Dabbler
I will be moving away from a Synology DS411+ to FreeNAS. I plan to stream 1080p content to multiple devices via Plex so I went with the Xeon E3. Based on all my research here, great site, I'm thinking of putting together this build.

Still a couple of things to figure out. I really like the Supermicro case listed below. It specifies ATX or E-ATX; however, I've seen were it "might" support a micro ATX board. A lot of the Supermicro cases specify they will "support up to an E-ATX board". I put in an e-mail to Supermicro over the weekend and have not heard back. Anyone with experience with this or a similar Supermicro case and micro ATX motherboard? I'm planning on 8 3TB drives in RaidZ2. As much as I like the HGST 3TB 7200 rpm drives, the general consensus here seems to be to stick with the WD Red(s). I like the idea of an SATA DOM for FreeNAS, but not sure if it would be a hassle. This board has a USB 3.0 slot on the motherboard which I could use. Wondering if the failure rate with the SATA DOM would be less than a USB stick?

Motherboard - Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O uATX (micro ATX)
CPU - Xeon E3-1270 V3 (Combo deal with motherboard on Newegg)
Memory - Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B (16GB kit x 2)
OR
Memory - Samsung M391B1G73QH0-YK0 (8GB x 4)
Hard Drives - (8 x 3TB WD Red - LSI 2308 onboard controller flashed to IT mode)
Case - Supermicro CSE-745TQ-R920B (A beast I know, 8 x Hot Swap + 920w Redundant Power Supplies)
UPS - CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD
SATA DOM - Inno ???
CPU Cooler - ???

Thanks in advance for any advice! I had originally posted this in the x10SL7-F-0 motherboard thread. Figure I'll get more thoughts if I created one. My only stumble right now is figuring out if this case will work. I love the case and the thought of redundant power supplies, all of the fans, hot swap drives, etc. I'll go with a Fractal Node 804 or Define case if this one doesn't work out.

Robert Smith

Patron
The USB driver for CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD is buggy. Fortunately the UPS also has a COM port and your motherboard has a COM port as well, so you can connect the UPS via serial interface, just get a cable, if you do not have one handy.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The USB driver for CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD is buggy.
Really? In what way? I have that UPS, connected by USB for the last few months, and haven't noticed any problems. What should I be looking for?

danb35

Hall of Famer
@jeffreyj900, you might look into the CSE-826 series. It's a 2U rack-mount chassis with 12 hot-swap bays (vs. 8), and mine has redundant 800W power (which is still more than enough for what I'm using). I'm using it with a SuperMicro uATX motherboard, and it works fine. Leaving a bit of room for expansion seems like a good idea.

jeffreyj900

Dabbler
@jeffreyj900, you might look into the CSE-826 series. It's a 2U rack-mount chassis with 12 hot-swap bays (vs. 8), and mine has redundant 800W power (which is still more than enough for what I'm using). I'm using it with a SuperMicro uATX motherboard, and it works fine. Leaving a bit of room for expansion seems like a good idea.

Thanks for that. I really want to stay with a tower. This case has an option for 4 more hot swap drives. I've discounted a rack-mount chassis because I don't have a rack. What do you have yours mounted in or do you? I'll look around and see what I can find.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Right now, I have my FreeNAS box as well as another server just sitting on a shelf. I plan on putting them in a small cabinet eventually with some of my other network gear, but for right now a shelf does the job. My recommendation was more to do with having some spare bays than necessarily to go rack-mount.

jeffreyj900

Dabbler
Right now, I have my FreeNAS box as well as another server just sitting on a shelf. I plan on putting them in a small cabinet eventually with some of my other network gear, but for right now a shelf does the job. My recommendation was more to do with having some spare bays than necessarily to go rack-mount.

Good call out, downside is you have me looking at rack mounts now, found a couple I like!

Status
Not open for further replies.