I have this build:

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core
MOTHERBOARD Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150
MEMORY 2x Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
STORAGE 8x Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM
STORAGE 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
CASE Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower
POWER SUPPLY Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

I would like to expand my space but have no idea where to start. I was thinking I could get some sort of 12+ supermicro bay off ebay and either move the stuff to that bay or run a cable from the current server to the bay using some sort of SAS controller. Is this the right way? Is there a better way?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Wizard
I was thinking I could get some sort of 12+ supermicro bay off ebay and either move the stuff to that bay
That can be done.
or run a cable from the current server to the bay using some sort of SAS controller.
Both are viable options. The second option is slightly more complicated, as you'll need a HBA (preferably with external connections) and fitting the SM box (required to have a SAS expander backplane) with a contraption that runs power supplies, fans and back planes. Here is a thread that uses this type of setup: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/supermicro-x10srl-f-3-846-chassis-72-disks.30431/page-1

It is easy to be tempted to get another larger case, beefed up the power supply to approx 900w quality power, purchased a LSI 9211-8i and a couple of break out cables...
...then thinking and doing the calculations of cost and future upgrade-ability, you'll quickly see that a 24 bay SM box with SAS expander built in, and quality PSUs included .....becomes a bargain in the long run.

CraigD

Patron
You could try a rack mountable case as @Dice advises , or get a tower case, only two tower cases that I know off will work (if you add racks/cages to the 5.25" bays)

Antec Twelve Hundred or if you can find it, the case I use is the Zalman MS800 and Velcro your SSDs inside

You will need an HBA and a larger PSU

Have Fun
20160617_130005.jpg

picklefish

Explorer
Thanks that build is exactly what I needed. I think I'm going to grab a rack off ebay, move my server over and figure it out from there. How hard is it to retain my data if I move to a new larger SAS card like that?

Dice

Wizard
Thanks that build is exactly what I needed. I think I'm going to grab a rack off ebay, move my server over and figure it out from there. How hard is it to retain my data if I move to a new larger SAS card like that?
Should be a seamless import.
Pay attention to the bios/firmware version of the rackbox though. It is not rocket science to flash, but you'll probably get a better user experience of the migration if assuring all versions are up to date with FreeNAS expectations. (typically for the 9211-8i - P20).

edit: you are not likely to need any messing with the SAS expanders or backplanes unless you run into problems (rare). Above is referring to the HBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.