SOLVED Losing data on my SMB share since latest FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE update

Status
Not open for further replies.

picklefish

Explorer
Edit: After checking my memory and looking at everything I'm convinced my VirtualBox VM is just going nuts and deleting stuff as some files inside of the VM are also missing. It's time to take VirtualBox out to the field and shoot it until 9.10.3 VM support.

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core
MOTHERBOARD Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150
MEMORY 2x Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
STORAGE 8x Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM
STORAGE 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
CASE Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower
POWER SUPPLY Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Virtual machine is running 16.04 Ubuntu

I have random data just disappearing from my SMB. Nothing has changed on my end. Yesterday I tried to move some files to a folder and they all just disappeared. I just restarted my ubuntu virtual machine and 12 larger files (4gb-8gb) were missing that hadn't even been touched recently. Has anyone else seen anything remotely similar to this? I don't know what to do.

This is occurring on both Windows (the drag and drop) and Ubuntu.

I got this last night while I was moving some files, I don't think it's related but I don't know.
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/midclt", line 9, in <module>
	load_entry_point('middlewared==0.0.0', 'console_scripts', 'midclt')()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 211, in main
	with Client(uri=args.uri) as c:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 79, in __init__
	self._ws.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 21, in connect
	rv = super(WSClient, self).connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ws4py/client/__init__.py", line 216, in connect
	bytes = self.sock.recv(128)
socket.timeout: timed out

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Also, please post the output of ifconfig and the contents of /var/log/messages (preferably from a time when you try to transfer a large file).

picklefish

Explorer
I've figured out what the issue was.

I had too many files and folders in a single folder. I spread stuff out into other folders and it seems to be working fine now. I moved the entire folder to a different dataset and it still occurred. That's why I was having no issue with data in other areas or even nearby folders. Kind of scary that it can just delete data like that with no warning (that I could find) when a folder has too many files/folders.

Thanks for the help. I'll update this if it doesn't go away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.