[BUILD] SuperMicro Micro ATX Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

csmall

Dabbler
What would be the best Supermicro micro ATX motherbaord to use with FreeNAS at this time? Would it be the X10SL7-F? Cost aside. Which micro ATX board gives you the most.

What specific CPU model would be recommended for use with the answer to the above?

I think I'm good on all other components.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's a guide that describes the most popular Supermicro X10 models, look for it in the X10 FAQ in my sig.

I'm working on an equivalent guide for the new X11 boards, but Supermicro has some odd models that required a little more research I haven't had the time to do yet. In a nutshell, though, instead of X10SLL+-F, X10SLM+-F and X10SLH-F, the equivalents are X11SSL-F, X11SSM-F and X11SSH-F. The X10SL7-F has two possible successors, one based on the X11SSL-F and one based on the X11SSH-F - both use SAS3008 controllers which aren't completely supported yet, though. X11SSM-F and X11SSH-F have 8 SATA ports, though.

csmall

Dabbler
Thanks. The think FAQ is where I came up with the X10SL7-F. I wasn't sure if anything has changed since the writing of the FAQ so figured I would verify or get more current information.

So as far as the X11 boards, it sounds like I should avoid them for the time being due to spotty hardware support?

If that is the case (and if it isn't and there is a good X11 choice please let me know) It sounds like the X10SL7-F would be the best option at the moment.

What specific CPU would be recommended for this board? There are many options.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you need, or anticipate that you will need, more than 6 disks, and you don't anticipate that you'll need more than 32 GB of RAM, the X10SL7 is probably the best choice due to the onboard HBA. As to the CPU, we'd need to hear more about your intended use for the system to give useful input.

Fuganater

Patron
Before you ask "What CPU to get?" or "How much RAM to get" you need to figure out what all do you want to do with the system. Is this a simple NAS for file storage or will you be running jails? If running jails, what will you run? (Example = Plex for 'x' clients requires more CPU power the more clients you have)

According to the Grinch, the E5-1650 v3 is the best bang for the buck. For me it was overkill so I went with the E5-1620 V3.

csmall

Dabbler
Thanks guys. Initial use will be lighter but I expect to make use of the box more and more as time goes on. Plex, jails, vm storage etc. So my goal is to build it with the ability to handle heavier use from the start.

As far as capacity goes, I would like to be able to accept as many disks as I can on a Micro ATX board. One thing I would like to try and stick to is a smaller case. I've been eyeing a few but any suggestions there would be great.

Fuganater

Patron
I say whatever suits your fancy. You can go super cheap and get a $50 Raidmax case which is what I did for about 2 years or spend more on a LianLi case or something. Again I say it is w/e you want. Go on Newegg and sort by MicroATX chassis and pick.

csmall

Dabbler
Yeah I'm eyeing a few. The fractal node 804 looks pretty nicr. I was just unsure about the best option for the micro ATX mobo. I'm sold on SuperMicro and like the idea of the integrated ipmi. Just want to settle on the right model to order.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
According to the Grinch, the E5-1650 v3 is the best bang for the buck. For me it was overkill so I went with the E5-1620 V3.
Very true if you are shopping for a socket 2011 board. The X10SL7-F is a socket 1150 board.

If you want to future proof your system a Xeon E3-1220 V3 would be a good power/$ option. If you don't think you'll need a Xeon then a Core i3 or Pentium may be a better choice.

Fuganater

Patron
Very true if you are shopping for a socket 2011 board. The X10SL7-F is a socket 1150 board.

bah didn't check that. The X10 boards that I have and looked at were all 2011 and were all ATX, not Micro ATX.

Status
Not open for further replies.