new build-better to use wd red or wd green hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids56

Cadet
I am setting up a freeNas system but the more I read about various hard drives the more confused I get. Basically I want to backup audio and video files from my main PC and plan to get about 4 1TB drives. Reliability is more important than speed. Would something like the Western Digital Red WD10EFRX 1TB IntelliPower ($99 on Newegg) be a better choice, or the Western Digital Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM (also $99 on Newegg), be a better choice for this purpose. The red drives do have a little better warranty (5 years as opposed to 3 years). Otherwise I am using a Gigabyte GAB75MD3V mobo, Intel Core i3 Ivy Bridge processor, and 8 GB of memory. Thanks.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I just installed four of the new WD Red 2TB drives and they are very quiet. They seem speedy enough as well but I haven't run benchmarks on them yet. The 2TB drives can be had at TigerDirect for $129 each which is the same price for a desktop hard drive but you get the NAS durability. NewEgg sells the same drives for $159 I believe. Also I do not use a swap space on my hard drives, I set that to zero because I feel I have enough RAM (8GB) to handle whatever I will thrown at it.

Stephens

Patron
Get the Red over Green. Personally I'd get the WD20EFRX 2TB since they're $120 on Amazon right now and you'd be getting double the space for $20 extra per drive. I'd also consider RAID-Z1 or RAID-Z2 in which case you'll need 1-2 extra drives. You can set up a 4-drive RAID-Z2 array which will allow 2 drives failing and still allow you access to all your data, and still have as much space as you'd have in your 4x1TB setup. All for only another $80 or so.

LAYGO

Explorer
Red are purposefully built for 24/7 availability NAS storage where as Green are more for desktops that aren't on 24/7. There's an article linked some where on this forum that details the differences.

davids56

Cadet
Thanks for the info---the WD Red 2 Tb's sound like a good plan. It looks like Amazon still has them for $120 with free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.