New 10Gbe switch recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bed

Dabbler
I am in the process of upgrading some of my equipment and I am need some help on switch selection. Too many considerations to list them all but the models I'm leaning toward are the UBIQUITI ES-16-XG and Netgear XS716T. I need a mix of SFP+ and 10GBASE-T. The Netgear M4300 12x12 would be ideal but its a little pricey for me right now.
Has anyone worked with any of these like to share opinions? Is Ubiquiti known to be finicky with DAC's? Netgear?

I often go ebay with a lot of gear but its my understanding that the older switches are fairly noisy and not very power efficient. For that reason I am learning toward something new but I am happy to entertain the idea of used data center equipment if the price is right.

I'm sure I should add more information but this should get the conversation started.

I mostly work with Cisco gear, and the older Nexus switches can be had fairly inexpensively. The fans are high pitched and LOUD! Since my stuff is in my home office, I went with an HP S5800 series switch which is really a re-badged H3C. Noise is the primary reason that my home office stuff is mostly HP. I like the Cisco stuff a lot, but it isn't fun to sit in the same room with a lot of it. :smile:

bed

Dabbler
Yea I can't handle loud in my home office either, which is where my equipment is located. I took a look at the S5800 and it looks like it has a few SFP+ uplinks but lacks any 10Gbe Base-T. As I time goes on I think my updates will include more 10Gbe Base-T.
With what I have now or have on order I would need either 3 RJ45 and 6 SFP+ or I could split it different with 1 RJ45 and 8 SFP+ connections. Room to grow is always a good idea imo.

c32767a

Patron
I am in the process of upgrading some of my equipment and I am need some help on switch selection. Too many considerations to list them all but the models I'm leaning toward are the UBIQUITI ES-16-XG and Netgear XS716T. I need a mix of SFP+ and 10GBASE-T. The Netgear M4300 12x12 would be ideal but its a little pricey for me right now.
Has anyone worked with any of these like to share opinions? Is Ubiquiti known to be finicky with DAC's? Netgear?

I have a UBNT switch in my home lab. Early versions of the UBNT firmware were pretty finicky about what you put in the SFP+ ports. The current firmware is pretty permissive. I've been using 10Gtek DACs from Amazon and they've been working OK. The switch "Just works" and the GUI is "functional".

One comment on "older" 10G stuff. A lot of 10g chipsets can be pretty power hungry for home use. We use Force10 and Cisco Nexus at $dayjob and the power+cooling requirements for those switches are a lot higher than anything I'd prefer to have in my basement.
I would rather have a nexus 5k for my home network, but the UBNT is a decent tradeoff.

Last edited:

bed

Dabbler
I have a UBNT switch in my home lab. Early versions of the UBNT firmware were pretty finicky about what you put in the SFP+ ports. The current firmware is pretty permissive. I've been using 10Gtek DACs from Amazon and they've been working OK. The switch "Just works" and the GUI is "functional".

One comment on "older" 10G stuff. A lot of 10g chipsets can be pretty power hungry for home use. We use Force10 and Cisco Nexus at $dayjob and the power+cooling requirements for those switches are a lot higher than anything I'd prefer to have in my basement.
I would rather have a nexus 5k for my home network, but the UBNT is a decent tradeoff.

Thanks for the insight on UBNT good to hear. Anyone have thoughts on the 10Gbe Netgear switches? I have plenty of 1Gb Netgear switches and they all work well, wondering what I can expect from them.

MikeyG

Patron
I recently sold my Netgear XS708E. Worked great, but was super noisy with stock fans, and ran really hot. Replaced it with a Qnap QSW-1208-8C 12-Port model. So far, I love it. Got it on sale at B&H for under $500. It's actively cooled, but very quiet (can't hear it unless I put my ear right to it), uses less power, small, and has 8 SFP+/RJ45 combo ports and 4 SFP+ only ports. Not managed, but I decided I didn't need to do vlans etc with my little network.

Status
Not open for further replies.