Connect old NAS as backup device

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere109

Contributor
I recently built my first FreeNAS, and am trying to add some redundancy for my personal data.
My motherboard has two Intel 540 ports, one connected to my internet, the other I'd like to use to direct connect to my old NAS, and use that as a backup.
First, can I use a straight cable or do I need a crossover cable for a FN > oldNAS configuration?
Next, I haven't installed pfsense, so don't currently have any built-in DHCP capability. Is that required, or can I discover and set up static routes between the two machines?
I'm leaning toward leaving the second device off-network - keeping the second ethernet interface separate. But I'd like to have the ability to quickly connect them to log in and make occasional changes. Would some sort of temporary bridge work best for that?
Any other considerations?

Thanks

tvsjr

Guru
I'd personally run a small firewall (pfSense being a great choice) and put your home network in the LAN interface and the FreeNAS in another interface. That will let you control whatever crosses between the various networks. You can even white-list certain FQDNs (like the FN updates site) to let the NAS update, without talking to the rest of the world.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
First, can I use a straight cable or do I need a crossover cable for a FN > oldNAS configuration?
Crossover cables are only needed with old hardware that doesn't do it automatically. In other words, old 10/100 Ethernet. Gigabit handles it automatically.

ere109

Contributor
I'd personally run a small firewall (pfSense being a great choice) and put your home network in the LAN interface and the FreeNAS in another interface...
Would that entail putting a separate machine in the middle with pfsense installed? I've read about running it in jails, but am not savvy enough to imagine having all ethernet traffic come straight into pfsense within the FN box, then allow internet to pass through.
@wblock, thanks for the tip on cables. I've had one laying around for years for pc-pc connections. I guess it's time to let it go.

tvsjr

Guru
Would that entail putting a separate machine in the middle with pfsense installed? I've read about running it in jails, but am not savvy enough to imagine having all ethernet traffic come straight into pfsense within the FN box, then allow internet to pass through.
@wblock, thanks for the tip on cables. I've had one laying around for years for pc-pc connections. I guess it's time to let it go.
I'm not a "jail" sort of guy... I've got an ESXi cluster to run other stuff on. Personally, I don't like the idea of mixing a FreeNAS box with a firewall. Build or buy a little low-power system (Netgate being an obvious choice, or use whatever you've got laying about) and let FreeNAS do what it's good at.. being a NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.