Networking weirdness - TrueNAS wrecks entire network when connected

Aephir

Dabbler
I recently set up my first TrueNAS, and have been using it for a few weeks. But today, I had some quite odd issues.

I was trying to force a plugin (Nextcloud) to use a specific network interface. It didn't stick, and I tried reinstalling a few times; every time it showed as available at 10.0.30.27:8282 (which is interface bge0) instead of the bge1 that I tried to make default.

After a few tries, my entire network stopped working. That is, anything connected to the WiFi (UniFi AP6 Lite, which was connected to a USW Lite 8) no longer had network access. I couldn't reach the router (edgerouter X) or any other device on any VLAN. Neither could I reach anything outside.

If I plugged an ethernet cable directly from the edgerouter to my laptop, everything worked fine. I thought. The thing was, I took one of the cables from the TrueNAS computer to plug in my laptop. Once I unplugged the laptop, things worked well for some seconds, but then stopped. I had plugged the ethernet cable back into the TrueNAS computer. After going back and forth like this for a while, I went back to WiFi without plugging the cable back into the TrueNAS box, and lo and behold, everything works fine.

So connecting one of the two ethernet cables to one of the two interfaces on the TruNAS box disrupts networking for everything else one the network (at least everything from either the switch or the AP and downstream).

Going back and connecting a monitor to the TrueNAS, I can see that there is no network. Resetting network on each interface results in TrueNAS telling me that the web UI is available, but navigating to the IPs (reserved in DHCP server, and have worked fine for a few weeks) gets no response. Same with ping to the IP. just request timeout.

[EDIT]: The above is only half true. No access or ping from different subnet/VLAN (even though the device trying has no firewall limitations to the subnet where TrueNAS is and. This is also the device I have used for the last few weeks, and I haven't changed firewall policies since it worked earlier today. If I ssh into a server on the same subnet, I can ping the TrueNAS (with only the "good" network interface connected). I can also create a nginx config on that server, to access the TrueNAS externally, and then I can do it from my laptop. This was after I reset the config though. Not sure if this would have worked before, since I didn't think to try.

So... Anyone have an idea what the heck is going on? I've never seen anything like this. And second question, if I do a clean reinstall, can I retrieve my data from the Z2 array?

Hardware is Lenovo ThinkStation D20 with dual Xeon X5670, 64GB ECC DDR3, 60GB SSD as boot drive, 5 x 2 TB drives (3 x WD RED + 2 x HGST), 1000W PSU. I didn't have much set up, a few NFS shares, a few SMB shares and a few plugins (one of them openVPN using tunnel)

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You have probably been bridging two interfaces plugged into the same switch. That leads to a broadcast storm that will bring your network down.

To prevent the automatic bridge creation from doing that you need to manually pre-create all your bridge interfaces before assigning and starting your jails. You can start by following these threads:

HTH,
Patrick

Aephir

Dabbler
Thanks, I'll take a look and retry.