Jail Networking

NugentS

MVP
I set up a jail today. Release 12.2-Release-p6
I used VNET, and TrueNAS picked Berkley Packet Filter
I set the networking up as per the screenshot below
1629534777872.png

I then added allow raw_sockets so I could use ping and traceroute from the jail

When I start this jail - my TrueNAS drops off the network completely and I have to walk to the machine and switch it off. I cannot even ping the IPMI interface - so I am assuming that as the switches seem to go beserk (and are also unreachable) that TrueNAS is blasting crap out onto the network and bringing it down

What I am trying to achieve - and this is what I thought vnet was for is to have an independant IP stack in the jail so I could use different DNS/a different default gateway in the jail

First Question: Have I got the concept correct
Second Question: If "yes" to above any idea what the hell is going wrong?

To clarify I have 5 NICs on the server
  1. 10Gb Main Network, SAMBA Shares
  2. 10Gb Storage Network - different switch, different network. Switch is attached to main network for management purposes
  3. 1Gb Jail Switch on main network
  4. 1Gb Unconnected
  5. IPMI
Oh and I already have a jail on that nic that doesn't use vnet or Berkeley and works - but I cannot change the GW address - it just uses the TrueNAS one.

Last edited:

zfs get

Cadet
Hi, I'd like to preface my post by saying that I don't know the subject matter well-enough to be able to offer a straight solution, but I'll do my best to help, at least some.

Now, what I do know for a fact is that you can create independent network stacks in FreeBSD jails. Each jail can have its own IPv4/6 localhost, Its own gateway, NAT, firewalls, network interfaces, IP addresses and so on, but (obviously) It's important that the jails work in concert with the host. A while back, I built a system of VNET jails inside a FreeBSD KVM, it was a concept build, to try out how well it would host (and separate) a number of different servers/network services, so It's certainly doable.

Before you go about wrestling with VNET jails, I'd suggest you disconnect and "export"/archive the non-VNET jail you already have running on the machine, (if you can), to give you a clear slate. Then I'd advise you check that the particular NIC you intend to associate with the jail works well with FreeBSD's network drivers. Once you're sure of that, I'd also consider enabling Disable Hardware Offloading under your desired NIC's settings in Network>Interfaces>Edit, but be sure to disable this feature down the road if you later grow convinced this is not the issue as it can limit performance. At the end, I'd also suggest you enable STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) on all your switches that support the feature.

When all that is done, go ahead and create a jail, just like before, just be sure to tick the box that allows it to have its own localhost ("assign_localhost". The newly created jail should be assigned an IP inside the scope of the host machine, It should also get a localhost different than the host machine, say 127.0.0.2. After the jail is created and up & running, edit its /etc/rc.conf to add a gateway different to the one on your host machine as well as the /etc/resolv.conf to add your custom DNS addresses. It's been about two years since I've worked with things like this, besides I never went about it on TrueNAS, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details but something along these lines should work. If this ends up failing or working badly, something tells me that, together with a different gateway and resolv.conf, you also might have to put the jail in its own, separate subnet, though I'm not entirely sure.

Good luck, I hope this was of some help!

I went and tried my settings on a recent TrueNAS machine of mine and although I don't have the setup necessary to really put things to the test, I did notice something: You should customize your network settings from the TrueNAS menu since editing the files I mentioned above manually, directly in the jail, doesn't seem to foster permanent changes. It is likely that TrueNAS's jail management software edits /etc/resolv.conf etc. on every jail startup to prevent conflict.
I succeeded in changing the DNS server used by the jail from my network's default by editing the "resolver" setting in the jail options. I don't have a second working gateway I could try (and I can't be bothered to set one up), but setting the appropriate ("IPv4 Default Route" or something like that) to something that's wrong but inside the correct network did fail to route outside, so that's promising. Setting the Default Route to an IP outside the subnet produced a VNET error, which is only reasonable. I also have hangups about the jail's localhost having the same IP as the host's localhost, but that might not be an issue. I do recall FreeBSD (iocage) giving the jail localhosts a different address in the localhost-reserved space.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
The main 10Gb NICs are Chelsio, the 1Gb are Intel - so that shouldn't be a problem.
Hardware Offloading is also disabled
STP is on on all switches

sretalla