SOLVED Creating a brand new jail with VNET enabled, I cannot access jail from my network

picklefish

Explorer
I think I am missing a step with turning on VNET in jails, but having trouble searching.

Jails work fine with VNET turned off.
If I create a brand new jail (from clone) with VNET turned on, it has internet access (pkg update works, ping 1.1.1.1 works), but I cannot access it from my network.

Default settings when creating jail. Enable VNET. Enable allow_raw_sockets.

1646266902700.png

I'm trying to read the guides and figure out what step I might be missing.

ifconfig inside the jail:
1646275613600.png

ifconfig on truenas host:
1646275416000.png

1 is the jail with vnet enabled, which can access the internet, but is unreachable by clients on my network
2 is the jail with vnet disabled, which has access to internet, and is reachable.

Thanks for any direction on what I might be missing!

Edit: Pinging the ip gives me:
1646277040000.png

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you're not using DHCP, you can't really leave the IPv4 Default Router at auto, you need to specify it.

picklefish

Explorer
Hmm, I set it to 192.168.1.1 and same behavior. I'd think I wouldn't have internet access inside the jail if that were the problem. Am I missing proper bridge setup maybe?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Do you have your jail's IP address as an alias on the host when you try to use VNET? You need to remove that, then. VNET means the jails comes with a complete separate IP stack.

Oh, and you MUST put your host's IP address on the bridge interface, not igb0. So:

- shut down jail
- ifconfig bridge0 destroy
- create a bridge interface, name 'bridge0', member 'igb0' in the UI
- remove the IP address from igb0
- put the IP address on bridge0
- start jail

picklefish

Explorer
Do you have your jail's IP address as an alias on the host when you try to use VNET? You need to remove that, then. VNET means the jails comes with a complete separate IP stack.

Oh, and you MUST put your host's IP address on the bridge interface, not igb0. So:

- shut down jail
- ifconfig bridge0 destroy
- create a bridge interface, name 'bridge0', member 'igb0' in the UI
- remove the IP address from igb0
- put the IP address on bridge0
- start jail
I think that's exactly it!

I had to muck about with this a bunch because I kept losing my bridge0 after restart and I kept having collisions between the bridge0 ip and the igb0 ip even though I was deleting the igb0 IP from the UI. I had to resort to IPMI a few times to be able to get back to the web ui! Eventually through various orders or deleting that IP from igb0 it finally persisted.

The other issue I kept having was setting the IPs manually. When I switched back to DHCP my problems went away. I don't know why I ever tried to do it without DHCP. Thanks all.