Trouble creating multiple vnet interfaces in jail

Dave Genton

Contributor
jails are allowed up to 4 vnet interfaces, I add the vnetX:bridgeX comma separated values for the two additional nic's, appended to my default vnet0:bridge0 but only my default gets created in freenas, only the single epair in jail. I have added the mac addresses required for 2nd and 3rd nic's but still they do not get created. Is there a piece I am missing ? I finally got vlans working to my vm by creating the bridges and adding members for vlan and tap to proper bridge after separating tagged vs untagged traffic by putting all tagged vlans on a dedicated interface. Now that it all works as it should in freenas and the vm, I simply want this same behavior in the freebsd jail in order to take the place of the vm hogging resources and adding latency to responses.

I am still running 11.2U1 as the 11.2U2.1 fix still breaks my Samba permissions beyond repair. I added the interface bridge pairs for them in the gui configuration, added mac address pairs, added vnet interfaces as members to appropriate bridge via tuneables "ifconfig bridge1 addm vnet1 addm tap1 addm vlan2 up". tap interfaces are working fine, vnets never created by jail in order to find and assign an ip within jail using vtnet.

What am I missing ??

Dave Genton

Contributor
Has ANYONE been able to create a jail that has more than one interface ? I have tried every variation I can think of, jail is a simple freebsd jail which runs named and ntpd for local clients but needs to service multiple networks without routing. vnet0 is created as epair0b in jail, adding vnet1 and vnet2 to respective bridges per documentation and working with others, they simply NEVER get created. I have to be missing something simple, jail allows up to 4 interfaces, why will 2nd and 3rd not get created ?

Dave Genton

Contributor
In freenas I am now seeing additional epairXX interfaces being created, thats all I see that they are created, but progress.. They aren't associated with jail nor does jail show additional nic beyond defaults lo0 and epair0b for vnet0.

Dave Genton

Contributor
Negative, in no way shape or form. Only a single interface may be created.

nopro

Dabbler
I belive i have the same problem
my post