Networking issues with secondary NIC

STREBLO

Patron
I believe it was around the official transition to iocage, I started having networking issues in jails. for a while after iocage was added in "beta", they were working with no issues. The host never has any issues with networking and I have set the default gateway and nameservers in "global networking configuration".

I'm using a secondary NIC on a separate subnet for my jails, and would prefer to continue doing this. Unfortunately my jails continue to work off and on, and it's not apparent to me why. I am using VNET and have used static IPs, but sometime around the 11.2 upgrade I stopped being able to get networking with static IPs, at which point I could only get networking to work turning on DHCP, and specifying an IP, but only if I create the jail on the command line. In the web interface DHCP shows 'error'.

Is there no official way to use a secondary NIC with VNET? When I try specifying to use DHCP, and have it auto configure it uses the wrong subnet and I end up with a jail in the subnet of the host.

The way I used to create them with static IPs was with dhcp=off.

I've created my jails with:

Code:
iocage create --release 11.2-RELEASE --name sickchill0 \
          boot=on vnet=on dhcp=on bpf=yes \
          allow_raw_sockets="1" \
          ip4_addr="vnet1|172.20.40.37/24" \
          interfaces="vnet1:bridge1" \
          defaultrouter="172.20.40.1" \
          resolver="search example.network;nameserver 172.20.40.1;nameserver 8.8.8.8"

I will have a jail work for a while, then suddenly stop working. Often it seems to be unable to resolve DNS.

My /etc/resolv.conf inside the jails reflect the resolver setting above.

I have set the tunables:

Code:
| Variable           | Value            | Type |
| cloned_interfaces  | bridge0 bridge1  | rc   |
| ifconfig_bridge1   | addm igb1 up     | rc   |