Query about "iocage create ip4_addr=vnet0" i.e. the vnet part

Hazimil

Contributor
Hi

I've been reading up on iocage Jails, and some of the resources I have read recommend that vnet is the way to go, as "VNET provides more fine control and isolation for jails.". However, networking is not my strong point, and I was after a clarification on the ip4_addr=vnet0 part.

Code:
iocage create -n ClamAV ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.105/24" -r 11.2-RELEASE vnet="on" allow.raw_sockets=”1” defaultrouter="192.168.0.1”

Do I create a new vnet for each jail, i.e. ip4_addr=vnet0, ip4_addr=vnet1, ip4_addr=vnet2, and onwards... etc. or is there a limit of the amount of vnet's available? Can more than once Jail share the same vnet, but with different IP address?

I know I can use the GUI to create the Jails, but like to understand a bit more about the process - it's all learning!

Yours
Jonathan

nojohnny101

Wizard
If you have multiple jails, then you don't need to specify the specific vnet interface during creation. I believe once you actually start each jail, iocage checks the networking stack to see if that particular vnet interface exists and if it does, it will increment.

I created many jails and assigned all of them "vnet0" during creation but when I look into the /var/log/messages, I can see they are assigned different vnet interfaces (vnet1,vnet2, etc.) upon startup. In fact I think it only resets on a full system reboot as I have seen vnet interfaces as high as vnet16 or so after I was doing some maintenance on some of the jails and kept restarting them (at which point they would get a new vnet interface).

This is just my experience and I'm not sure if I am explaining it well enough. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Hazimil

Contributor

Turgin

Dabbler
vnet0 is significant inside the jail only. Each jail would have a vnet0, but if any one jail needs more than one interface you could assign vnet0, vnet1, etc.