network settings

Dhy1

Explorer
Hello, is the first time I install FreeNas and I have a problem .. in practice the first start asking me to access the web GUI to 0.0.0.0 and on the vodafone station was not connected any pc via LAN (which obviously works all .. cable etc. ) .. then looking on the net I manually set the IP .. but I did not get anything because the vodafone station does not see the pc .. except sometimes .. but still I can not connect to the web GUI .. can someone help me?

I use freenas 11.2 on assembled pc (msi 970 gaming, 8gb ram, fx 8370)

I tried to configure the network interface using the dhcp but the only thing I got is a message saying that the network interface is not accessible and to check the network configuration

I tried to change the settings by pressing 1 on the freenas console: as ipv4 I put 192.168.1.30 as submask 255.255.255.0, 24

Dhy1

Explorer
is it possible that the network driver installation is missing? in the case how can I do?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your motherboard is an awful choice for a NAS, and it's certainly possible that its "Killer E2205" LAN controller isn't supported--this old thread makes it appear that this is the case. One easy thing to check would be to install an Intel NIC and see if it works.

Dhy1

Explorer
I installed freenas twice always on the usual motherboard .. the first worked quietly acquiring the ip and the gui web worked .. then I had to format everything as I had installed on a test ssd to install the system on the device I wanted. so it's definitely compatible.

Dhy1

Explorer
if I buy another PCI network card do you think I can solve the problem?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, if you aren't getting an IP address via DHCP, there are really only two possible reasons:
  • You don't have a supported NIC
  • Your supported NIC can't connect to your DHCP server
What little information I'm finding about the "killer" NIC with FreeBSD suggests that it isn't supported. If that's what's going on, then a replacement NIC should solve the problem. If not, the problem is likely to be with the cable, security of connections, etc.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You should be able to find that with the documentation for FreeBSD 11.2. Make it easy for yourself: get an Intel gigabit NIC. They're cheap and they work well. Do not get one with a Realtek chip.