Correct network settings Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenbravo7

Cadet
Hello,

I have a question regarding the correct network settings for my jail in combination with my network settings.

My LAN network settings (as set in my router/modem):
DHCP range: 192.168.1.10 / 192.168.1.255
Router/modem: 192.168.1.1
FreeNAS: 192.168.1.2 (set as static via settings)
FreeNAS Jail: 192.168.1.3

Before I upgraded to 9.2 I already had a few issues that I would sometimes be unable to reach my Jail. But after I upgraded it is just unreachable 9/10 times. So I guess that it has something to do with my network settings for my Jail.

The network settings I have currently set for my jail (via FreeNAS GUI).

Jail Name
IPv4 address
IPv4 netmask
IPv4 aliases
IPv4 bridge address
IPv4 bridge netmask
IPv4 bridge aliases
IPv4 default gateway
IPv6 address
IPv6 prefix length
IPv6 aliases
IPv6 bridge address
IPv6 bridge prefix length
IPv6 bridge aliases
IPv6 default gateway
MAC
autostart
VIMAGE
NAT
Autostart is checked
VIMAGE is checked
NAT is NOT checked

After upgrading to 9.1 I already had to recreate my Jail and I did so with the above settings. These settings seems to be the most stable ones I was able to configure it.

But like I said after 9.2 even these settings stopped working. So my question is; what are the correct settings to get this Jail working on the 192.168.1.3 IP-address? It must have access to the internet and vice versa (I have some applications that need to be accessable, from work etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help. If you need to know more, please let me know!

svenbravo7

Cadet
Ok.. it seems that copying the settings did not work the way they were visible in the editor. Lets try that again.

Code:
IPv4 address            192.168.1.3
IPv4 netmask            /24 255.255.255.0
IPv4 aliases            (empty)
IPv4 bridge address        (empty)
IPv4 bridge netmask        ------
IPv4 bridge aliases        (empty)
IPv4 default gateway        192.168.1.1
IPv6 address            (empty)
IPv6 prefix length        ------
IPv6 aliases            (empty)
IPv6 bridge address        (empty)
IPv6 bridge prefix length    ------
IPv6 bridge aliases        (empty)
IPv6 default gateway        (empty)
MAC                02:13:64:00:0d:0b
autostart            True
VIMAGE                True
NAT                False

D

dlavigne

The settings look good. What exactly doesn't work? e.g. can you install a plugin? access the plugin's config menu? access the plugin from a client?

svenbravo7

Cadet
The settings look good. What exactly doesn't work? e.g. can you install a plugin? access the plugin's config menu? access the plugin from a client?

What doesn't work is that I can't reach my installed programs inside the Jail using the IP address (LAN or WAN). Im not using Plugins through the GUI, I made a "traditional" jail (9.0) in which I installed Sabnzbd and Sickbeard. I also forwarded all the required ports for these programs to the Jail IP. I quadruple checked all the settings and they are all correct.

From a shell inside the Jail:
When I try to ping google I get an error saying the Host is unreachable, but when I ping an IP address that is inside my network everything (Sab and Sick) in my Jail seems to be reachable (from LAN and WAN) straight away and I can ping google with success. At the moment I think it might have something todo with netwait which I enabled awhile ago on the underlying system. This way the system boots up and performs a few pings to IP addresses I defined before the network becomes fully active, now I believe that at the same time the Jail is booted and tries to communicate with my Router (which it can not do because of the netwait).

To be clear, I have my NAS shutdown at midnight and I manually start it every morning before I go to work.

So my next step will be to disable the netwait for the underlying system and if that doesn't solve my problems I will enable it inside my Jail and have it ping my Router for 10 seconds.

empunkt

Cadet
I seem to have the same issue with newly created jail. I also set IPV4, Netmask and Gateway manually for the jail.
It's possible to ping the jail from the freenas and vice versa. But it's not possible to reach any other machine on the network.

Any help is appreciated. Is there any need to configure the addresses before as alias IP addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.