Network configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrim

Cadet
Hello,

I'm new to freenas and have really little knowledge about network.

Still I managed to install freenas correctly and everything run smoothly (users can connect share file on the network, etc.).

Now I would like to install plugin on my freenas install and... I'm lost.
Basically I understand that my freenas installation need to be able to access internet to install plugin. I read the .doc but I'm unsure of what to do.

Security is not a big issue for me, but still I would prefer if my nas is not fully open to the internet.
From what I understand it's currently only accessible from my private network (that's why plugins can't be installed).

Do I need to configure a "global network configuration"; a "static route" or an "interface" ?
My setup is a simple modem/hub on which every station are connected at home (freenas included).

Thanks in advance for your answers,
(a link to a decent howto would be greatly appreciated; this question has probably already been discuss, could not find it though).

Adrim,

kdragon75

Wizard
Do I need to configure a "global network configuration"; a "static route" or an "interface" ?
All of the above. If you can connect from other computers on your network, you have the interface configured. If you have not set the default-gateway and DNS server, you need to do that before the server can communicate with the internet. This will not leave it open to the internet. Take look HERE or lots of information and guides.

Adrim

Cadet
It's this part in the documentation that confused me : "However, omitting a default gateway will prevent the FreeNAS® system from communicating with DNS servers, time servers, and mail servers that are located outside of the local network. In this case, it is recommended to add Static Routes to be able to reach external DNS, NTP, and mail servers which are configured with static IP addresses. When a gateway to the Internet is added, make sure that the FreeNAS® system is protected by a properly configured firewall."

==> my understanding was that I had to chose between 1) default gateway (then more risky "more open") 2) using static route to connect the freenas.
I suppose I got it wrong ?

From what I understand now : I have to put a default gateway (to use plugin) and If I want to connect to a mail server for instance It's advised to use a static route (for more security).

Do I get it right now ?

Thx

kdragon75

Wizard
rom what I understand now : I have to put a default gateway (to use plugin) and If I want to connect to a mail server for instance It's advised to use a static route (for more security).
This is correct. The doc is a bit misleading... if your default gateway is performing NAT (PAT technically) it is a firewall that will not let anything in unless tehconnection started from inside you network. Its just inherent in how PAT works. Now if FreeNAS was setup with a public IP on a publicly routed network.... you should darn well know better!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You don't need to set a static route or configure an interface. Make sure you have your default gateway listed in the Network->Global configuration tab and the available plugins should load and install.

Status
Not open for further replies.