Can't ping jail over vpn connection but can ping from local network

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjb

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606072003 on a machine with a single network card. FreeNAS has one jail on it for the Transmission plugin. I also have a separate machine running VirtualBox (single network card) and a set of virtual machines with bridged network addresses on the local network.

My private network is set up with static IP addresses for all servers on the 192.168.0.* network. I have a router running OpenVPN 2.3.10 so I can connect to the private network from the internet.

When I'm on the local network, everything is fine. I can ping and access all machines w/o a problem. When I'm VPN'ing in from the internet everything also works fine, EXCEPT for accessing the Transmission jail. It is unpingable, can't be reached by HTTP or SSH, etc. I can access the FreeNAS machine it is running on just fine. I can access all of the VirtualBox machines with bridged network addresses just fine. ONLY the Transmission jail is inaccessible.

I tried creating simple standard jail on the same FreeNAS machine alongside the Transmission jail and had a similar problem: The jail is unpingable over the VPN, but other machines are.

Can you think of anything that would differentiate a jail from a physical or VirtualBox virtual machine in terms of networking that would produce this kind of result?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This could be any kind of routing/network issue. While you meditate on it, might I suggest, if you can get to the FreeNAS appliance via SSH, then by simply allowing "TCP Port Forwarding" in the Services->SSH->properties, you can get to your jails via http or whatever very easily---assuming your ssh client supports this kind of port forwarding (I recommend "Bitvise" on Windows).

danjb

Dabbler
Thank you for the SSH port forwarding idea! Between that or getting the console for the jail on the freenas web UI I can make things work. It is a curious situation though. It's strange if I run a continuous ping through the VPN the jail will be pingable once or twice during its boot, but is no longer pingable once it is up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.