Network problem with iocage jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Hello,
I have a problem with my network configuration. At the moment, I have three jails (with iocage).
Code:
igb0|192.168.178.11/24 -> git server
igb0|192.168.178.12/24 -> nextcloud
igb0|192.168.178.13/24 -> emby

The IP of my FreeNAS system is igb0|192.168.178.10/24. I read the iocage documentation and followed the "Shared IP" section to achieve this configuration. But the problem is, that my router (Fr!tzBox 7490) doesn't differentiate between the jails and FreeNAS. Sometimes FreeNAS is listet with the IP of my nextcloud jail and emby doesn't even get recognised by the router. This makes portforwarding impossible.
I tried a vnet, but then FreeNAS throws a Kernel error (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is using my ip!).

nojohnny101

Wizard
Are the jails setup to use static IPs? Each jail should have a Mac address that you can use in your router settings to make sure those have static IPs.

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Are the jails setup to use static IPs? Each jail should have a Mac address that you can use in your router settings to make sure those have static IPs.
Yes, they all have static IPs. I have changed the setup to VNET and now, the port forwarding works, but only for the jails. I can't do a port forwarding for my FreeNAS WebUI.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Yes, they all have static IPs. I have changed the setup to VNET and now, the port forwarding works, but only for the jails. I can't do a port forwarding for my FreeNAS WebUI.

Ok so let me make sure I understand. You have port forwarding rules setup on your router via IP address correct? and you are saying that the port forwarding rules you setup for the jail's IP addresses is working but the port forwarding rule you setup for your FreeNAS ip (the one you use to access the GUI) is not working?

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Ok so let me make sure I understand. You have port forwarding rules setup on your router via IP address correct? and you are saying that the port forwarding rules you setup for the jail's IP addresses is working but the port forwarding rule you setup for your FreeNAS IP (the one you use to access the GUI) is not working?
Exactly.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Can you SSH into your box remotely and add a -v argument to see where the connection is failing?

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Just open a terminal (Mac) or putty (windows) session from a remote location and try to SSH into your box. Do you have a DNS service set?

If you are saying you can't connect then add a "-v" option to your connection arguments so you see where the connection is failing.

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Just open a terminal (Mac) or putty (windows) session from a remote location and try to SSH into your box. Do you have a DNS service set?

If you are saying you can't connect then add a "-v" option to your connection arguments so you see where the connection is failing.
I forwarded the SSH Port to one of my jails, so I can't SSH into my Box from a remote location.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I forwarded the SSH Port to one of my jails, so I can't SSH into my Box from a remote location.

Ok so what is the problem then? You said you have no remote access to your FreeNAS GUI IP address correct? Are you on a windows or PC?

Clearly explain what if failing again. I must have missed something.

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Ok so what is the problem then? You said you have no remote access to your FreeNAS GUI IP address correct? Are you on a windows or PC?

Clearly explain what if failing again. I must have missed something.
My FreeNAS host doesn't show up in my router configuration. I can ping the IP address and I can access the web ui via the local IP, but I can't create port forwarding rules for it. All the network interfaces have different MAC-Addresses and I can't figure out, why FreeNAS is not accassable via my router.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Oh I see, so you can't even set port forwarding rules for your FreeNAS IP because it is not showing up in the list of devices connected to your network.

I can't say I have experience with that specific problem, but if your FreeNAS box is reachable and all then it seems the problem is in your router somehow. Some things come to mind:
- have you tried rebooting you router?
- I know some routers will allow you to specify port forwarding rules manually. have you tried just setting up a port forwarding rule for the IP address of your FN box by manually typing it in? Does your router allow this?

BerryPlay

Dabbler
Oh I see, so you can't even set port forwarding rules for your FreeNAS IP because it is not showing up in the list of devices connected to your network.

I can't say I have experience with that specific problem, but if your FreeNAS box is reachable and all then it seems the problem is in your router somehow. Some things come to mind:
- have you tried rebooting you router?
- I know some routers will allow you to specify port forwarding rules manually. have you tried just setting up a port forwarding rule for the IP address of your FN box by manually typing it in? Does your router allow this?
I restarted the router multiple times and also installed an update, but no success. When I type in the IP of my FreeNAS host manually, the router tells me, that the IP address doesn't exist in the network and refuses to set the forwarding rule.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Hmmmm, got me stumped then!

I have never heard of a device that is connected to a network that the router seems to be completely "unaware" of. That is indeed odd.

Hopefully someone else with more networking knowledge will chime in!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

nojohnny101

Wizard
@Jailer now that you made your points, it is true, why would you need a separate port, if one is remote, to SSH into a jail as opposed to the main FreeNAS box? I have port forwarding setup with a DNS forwarding service so I can SSH into my FreeNAS box and then easily access the shells of my jails once I am into my FreeNAS box.

@BerryPlay maybe you could explain your purpose and what you actually want to do (or be able to do).

Also I should have mentioned it but @Jailer makes a good point, you should not be opening up your internal FreeNAS ip address to the outside world.

Status
Not open for further replies.