Modem/router can not see new iocage jails IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Hi All,

I am in the process of moving my jails from warden to iocage style and so far have an emby server jail and a web page jail. However, both of these jails are not visible to the router (although they connect to the WAN just fine)

They have shared IP address of 192.168.178.6 & 7 and Freenas Server is on 192.168.178.37, my router is on 192.168.178.1
(The jails were set up like: ip4_addr="igb0|192.168.178.6/24" etc)

The old warden jails showed up fine in the router admin web page (FritzBox) so I would route ports to them, but the new iocage jails do not so I am stuck.
I have made sure that the defaultroutes for both iocage jails is set to 192.168.178.1

Is it because all machines share the same macaddress, so the router only sees the xxx.37 IP? If so how do I route ports to the jails, i.e emby needs port 8096 open ..

Any idea's?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What happens if you enable virtual networking on the iocage jails? ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.178.6/24" vnet="on"

Regardless, that's a broken UI for the router if it will only allow you to do port forwarding for IPs it knows about.

Edit: I've never used a Fritzbox product, but this page suggests you should be able to type in the IP; the UI will only list the IPs it gives out via DHCP:
If you cannot select the device, then you can select "Enter the IP address manually" and enter the IP address. Only devices that automatically obtain their IP settings (DHCP) from the FRITZ!Box are listed in the drop-down list.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Thanks. I had already tried sharing a manual IP on the FritzBox, all I got for my efforts was:
Code:
An error occurred.

Error description: The IP address is not available.

Please enter your data again. If the error occurs again, please consult AVM Support.

Maybe I will try the vnet method. Can I modify an existing jail to do that, or do I have to set up a new one?

Cheers

danb35

Hall of Famer
To the best of my knowledge, you'd need to build a new jail--but I'm far from an iocage expert.

But that's stunningly stupid software in your router.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
But that's stunningly stupid software in your router.
Agreed. That lack of flexability alone would have me looking for something else.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
I found out what the issue is:

On the FritzBox pulldown list was multiple "FreeNAS" devices (hostnames) I had to go through each one to see which had the IP of 192.168.178.6 for my "emby" jail.
It would not propagate the hostname through it seems ..
Is there anything I can do in the jail to force that?

danb35

Hall of Famer

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
It is already set .. ;) but thanks

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
So it seems the Fritz box won't allow what I am trying to do .. from the FAQ
Code:
3 Multiple IP addresses for the same MAC address
You cannot set up port sharing in the FRITZ!Box for devices if they use multiple IP addresses for the same MAC address. The FRITZ!Box does not support devices that use several IP addresses with the same MAC address (for example virtual machines with manually assigned MAC addresses that are used by several devices in the home network).

SO my options are to get another router/modem/DECT unit (any suggestions) that will support multiple IP's off the same MAC address .. or
Work out some sort of VLAN method that the Fritzbox is happy with ..... any suggestions? I am stumped/frustrated ..

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Change the MAC addresses on each jail so each one is unique.

garm

Wizard
Sounds like they coded themselvs into a corner.. let go of the consumer stuff and set up a proper firewall, I advocate pfSense on hardware sized for your needs. (There are other options as well)

danb35

Hall of Famer
any suggestions
As to the router, anything that isn't completely brain-dead would do (and I'd heard Fritzbox mentioned as though it were moderately featureful--apparently not). I'd second the vote for pfSense, but I'm pretty sure most consumer routers would allow this.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Change the MAC addresses on each jail so each one is unique.
That sounds like a quick fix. Can you tell me where I can get a pool of mac address's I can use, and how to set it for the jail .... thanks
(I can't see an iocage set ... command for the mac address)

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
It likely won't matter, just change them to something so they don't match each other.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
It likely won't matter, just change them to something so they don't match each other.
Yep, but how do I change it for the jail and make it permanent?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Well I thought I remember reading something in the documentation on it but I can't seem to find it now. I'll have to do some searching to see what I can come up with.

I'd still get a different router...........

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Well I thought I remember reading something in the documentation on it but I can't seem to find it now. I'll have to do some searching to see what I can come up with.

I'd still get a different router...........
Yep will do, but it is going to mess me about quite a bit at the moment, don't want to discrupt too may things just yet.
Appreciate if you could find out about setting the mac address though ;)

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Thought's on setting mac address per jail anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.