Nested VMs: getting them to work

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I'm trying to get nested VMs working in Scale with Virtualbox as the hypervisor running in Linux Mint installed on Scale, and I'm running into difficulties. The reason I'm attempting this is that I have some long-used VMs that are currently guests on a physical machine running Linux Mint, and I'd like to eliminate that physical machine and replace it with a virtual instance of Mint installed on my Scale server. In order to make this work, I have to be able to run VMs in Virtualbox on the VM that I install in Scale.

The initial problem was that nested VMs didn't run at all on the VM in scale. I partly solved that by editing the VM in Scale and changing the CPU Mode to "Host Passthrough."

After that, I was able to at least start the nested VM running as a guest in Virtualbox installed on the Scale VM. However, after starting, it will not display anything graphical. In other words, the nested VM will bring up a text screen asking if I want to run or install Mint, but no matter what option I choose, instead of bringing up the graphical installer, the screen goes blank.

Has anyone successfully gotten nested VMs working in Scale, especially with Virtualbox as the hypervisor installed in the VM running in Scale? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is more detail on my setup: CPU is a Ryzen Pro 4350G, and I have 32 GBs of ECC Ram (which I plan to increase, especially if I can get nested VMs working). I have 8GB RAM allocated to the Linux VM installed in Scale (which is more than enough for MInt) and am allocating 4GB RAM to the nested guest (which again is perfectly adequate for Mint). This, however, is for testing purposes, and if I can get nesting to work, I plan on upgrading the RAM significantly and possibly upgrading the CPU.