Need specific FreeNAS version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warmango

Cadet
I am loking to set up a home file server, except i can only down version 11 which requires 8gb of ram, older versions had supported use of 1gb, i need the latest version that supports 1gb of ram,

joeschmuck

Old Man
Then you are looking for a very old version (well over 5 years of age) such as FreeNAS 0.7 or earlier which belongs to the now named NAS4Free group. That was before iXsystems took over FreeNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not sure that running such ancient software is going to be pleasant for anyone, though.

danb35

Hall of Famer
As @joeschmuck notes, if you can find an ancient copy of FreeNAS 0.7 (and I'd guess the NAS4Free forums would be the best place to ask for that), it would probably run on your hardware. However, that's eight-year-old software. However solid it may have been at the time, it's missing eight years' worth of security patches, protocol updates, and features. Unless all your clients are running Windows XP, you're probably better off with something a bit more modern, that's also designed to be lightweight. OpenMediaVault says they'll run with 1 GB of RAM, so that might be a good place to start.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure that running such ancient software is going to be pleasant for anyone, though.
I agree however I was just answering the question, sometimes I do that, but I should have said something about it being obsolete. I am not promoting the use of it. If you note, the OP has never posted again. I don't think he/she liked the answer.

OpenMediaVault says they'll run with 1 GB of RAM, so that might be a good place to start.
Great recommendation.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you note, the OP has never posted again. I don't think he/she liked the answer.
Perhaps, but the thread was locked for quite a while, which would make it hard for the OP to have replied.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Perhaps, but the thread was locked for quite a while, which would make it hard for the OP to have replied.
It was locked? I dind't notice it. Not sure why it would have been locked.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It was locked? I dind't notice it. Not sure why it would have been locked.
It's easy to miss when you're a mod.

I locked it because these threads tend to quickly devolve into nastiness, but perhaps that was a bit too pessimistic.

Warmango

Cadet
I thank you all for your suggestions, and I was aware that if I was going to use a much older version of FreeNAS, I'd loose out on patches and updates,

danb36 said:
OpenMediaVault saysthey'll run with 1 GB of RAM, so that might be a good place to start.
I'll check it out, thanks again, all of you

Last edited by a moderator:

SUESITES

Cadet
Hello,
I was using FreeNas4, with no issue's but my flash drive failed.
I need some advice on recovering data or if the system can be upgraded.
The other question is can older version of the software be found?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What on Earth is FreeNAS4? Your screenshots in the other thread do not seem to be from NAS4Free/XigmaNAS.
The other question is can older version of the software be found?
download.freenas.org

Status
Not open for further replies.