Install Minecraft Server on FreeNAS 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy49

Dabbler
Try and try as I did, I eventually broke down and tried Minecraft. After NOT sleeping for nearly two days straight as I carved out the inside of a mountain and turned it into my stronghold, I admit I am completely addicted. Worse yet, I got both my kids addicted! I would LOVE to set up a server for family/friends to play. I tried to set it up on my old Window machine (P4 2.0ghz with 1gb of ram). It is NOT running well at all. I have FreeNAS 8 set up on an Atom 526 with 4gb of RAM, etc, etc. I'd love to set up the server on it, seeing as it IS my "server" it makes sense.

Java is not installed, and I real briefly, and it looks like Java has too many dependencies and would fit, but others have installed stripped down versions of Java for use with specific apps. I would love a How-To on getting Java set up so I can run the Minecraft server.

To the developers, I say increase the size of the ISO. 4gb flash drives a dirt cheap, and you can fit 4gb easily on a DVD, and drives are like $10. :D

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

-Dizzy

Dizzy49

Dabbler
You need to setup a Jail, I have a tutorial for a generic Jail here: http://protosd.blogspot.com/2011/12/freenas-8-generic-jail-template.html
If you look through the others, there is also one for "Streambaby" which you can look at to see how to install Java. After that I'm afraid you're on your own. I know nothing about Minecraft or the requirements to run it.

Hope that helps!

Happy New Year

I tried following your tutorial, but the download doesn't seem to be working...

Code:

[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/FreeBSD> wget -rnd ftp://ftp8.us.FreeBSD.org/mirror/FreeBSD/releases/`uname -m`/`uname -r | cut -d- -fl-2`base/ `uname -r | cut -d- -fl-2`_`uname -m`_base                                           
cut: [-cf] list: illegal list value
cut: [-cf] list: illegal list value
--2012-01-01 23:05:51--  ftp://ftp8.us.freebsd.org/mirror/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/base/
           => `.listing'
Resolving ftp8.us.freebsd.org (ftp8.us.freebsd.org)... 128.205.32.24
Connecting to ftp8.us.freebsd.org (ftp8.us.freebsd.org)|128.205.32.24|:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD (1) /mirror/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/base ...
No such directory `mirror/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/base'.

--2012-01-01 23:05:52--  http://_amd64_base/
Resolving _amd64_base (_amd64_base)... failed: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `_amd64_base'
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/FreeBSD>

I had a typo. Figured out how to copy directly to the console and it's downloading now.

ProtoSD

MVP
Sorry, the "mirror" part was changed sometime recently and I missed editing that to fix it. That command is pretty syntax sensitive, the quotes have to be just the right kind. I just put a note above that box to copy & paste so other people don't get snagged by typos too.

Good luck!

Dizzy49

Dabbler
Unfortunately, I'm stuck here now...

I have used Linux before and I know the basics, but I'll admit that I don't understand what I'm doing as I move the files and things.
If I understand correctly, I've moved files over, but I'm still need to actually set up FreeBSD and Java. I THINK that's what the chroot was supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to be working...

Code:
Downloaded: 47 files, 58M in 1m 41s (587 KB/s)
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/FreeBSD> cat base.?? | tar --unlink -xpzf - -C /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/FreeBSD> cd /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/etc
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/etc> cp /etc/resolv.conf .
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/etc> cp /etc/localtime .
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/etc> mount -uw /
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a : Operation not permitted
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/etc> cd ..
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root> cd ..
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail> mv /mnt/Data/diablo-jre-freebsd7.amd64.1.6.0.07.02.tbz /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/usr/local/
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail> mv /mnt/Data/minecraft_server.jar /mnt/Data/MC_Jail/MC_root/usr/local/
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail> cd /mnt/Data/MC_Jail
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail> chroot MC_root freebsd-update fetch install
chroot: MC_root: Operation not permitted
[Dizzy@freenas] /mnt/Data/MC_Jail>

I appreciate your quick reply to my previous issue!

ProtoSD

MVP
I think you missed the part about doing 'su' if you are ssh'ing into your system, but I'll admit it could be a little clearer. After you connect with ssh, type su and enter the admin password, then things should work, like the 'mount -uw /' etc.

Dizzy49

Dabbler
Yup, totally missed that.

Well, I got through most of it.

Got to the part where I need to edit/create some files, and I always had issues with vi. Gave me some strange error.

Regardless, I figured I was fine just starting it manually, but I realized Java isn't actually installed. I THOUGHT I then installed it, if I do like a pkg_info diablo it gives me all of the info for it, and I see the java folder...
However, when I type "java -xmx1024M -xms1024M /usr/local/minecraft/minecraft_server.jar" it gives me an error that it can't find Java (which is what it did before I did all of this)

Sigh...

ProtoSD

MVP
Got to the part where I need to edit/create some files, and I always had issues with vi.

Sigh...

You can use nano or ee, I think they're both installed but I've never used them. I used to know vi better than the back of my hand but I'm little rusty these days.

Look for this section below in the Streambaby HowTo. I copied and pasted it here but the links didn't paste correctly here. You can't install JAVA with pkg_add for some reason as far as I know, you need to do it manually like below.

Download one of the below files from your PC browser, choose link depending on version of FreeNAS you have installed and save it to your NAS. You'll need to be sure your mountpoint 'tank' is exported with CIFS, nfs, AFP, or some other method to allow you to copy the file from your PC to your NAS.

AMD64 Java JRE:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/cgi....6.0.07.02.tbz

i386 Java JRE:
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/cgi....6.0.07.02.tbz

Move the file you downloaded above from the folder you saved it to. Don't forget to change the filename in red to match what you downloaded:

Code:
mv /mnt/tank/diablo-jre-freebsd7.amd64.1.6.0.07.02.tbz /mnt/tank/SB_Jail/SB_root/usr/local/

kbryant

Cadet
Setup Minecraft Server on FreeNAS

Try and try as I did, I eventually broke down and tried Minecraft. After NOT sleeping for nearly two days straight as I carved out the inside of a mountain and turned it into my stronghold, I admit I am completely addicted. Worse yet, I got both my kids addicted! I would LOVE to set up a server for family/friends to play. I tried to set it up on my old Window machine (P4 2.0ghz with 1gb of ram). It is NOT running well at all. I have FreeNAS 8 set up on an Atom 526 with 4gb of RAM, etc, etc. I'd love to set up the server on it, seeing as it IS my "server" it makes sense.

Java is not installed, and I real briefly, and it looks like Java has too many dependencies and would fit, but others have installed stripped down versions of Java for use with specific apps. I would love a How-To on getting Java set up so I can run the Minecraft server.

To the developers, I say increase the size of the ISO. 4gb flash drives a dirt cheap, and you can fit 4gb easily on a DVD, and drives are like $10. :D

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

-Dizzy

Hi, sorry for reviving an old thread, but I ran into this problem and this thread never reached a conclusive solution. This tutorial here shows how to setup a Minecraft server onto your FreeNAS being run on a USB (embedded): http://tapalla.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/setup-a-minecraft-server-on-your-freenas/

Status
Not open for further replies.