BUILD Need some thoughts about this build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erates

Cadet
Hello,

A few days ago I posted thread about degraded ZFS System. I think the conclusion will be that the problem is because I have old, non ECC memory (and other lacking system requirements). I had a Thecus NAS, but it just wasn't enough for what I wanted (Plex video transcoding, a VM, etc..) So I thought, I have my old PC, why don't I use that for a NAS, and install FreeNAS on there. Turns out that wasn't such a great idea.. :(

Here are the specs of my old system:

Mobo: Asus P5K
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500
Ram: 6GB DDR2 (don't know what brand, but NOT ECC)
HDD: 2x WD Red Pro 4TB in mirror

So because I don't want to live without a NAS anymore, I think I should buy some new stuff.

So after some searching, I came up with this system.

Mobo: Supermicro X10SLM-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 Boxed
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR16LE11/8HB
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU: Seasonic G-Series 360W

I will use my (1 year old) WD Red Pro's.

I could get this for about 695 euro's.

So what's the forum's thought about this? Is it worth the 20 euro upgrade of the E3-1226 vs the E3-1220? Or is this configuration a total no-go?

Thanks in advance

Dice

Wizard
Beware this model does not have hyper threading, which would be a shame to loose, considering the amount of money already spent.
1231v3 support HT.

Erates

Cadet
Well, that would be another 25 euros.. But you do have a point, at these amounts, 25 isn't that much anymore.

But for the rest, does it look like a good build?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Sure, but usual disclaimers about Kingston RAM and Supermicro X1 boards apply.

Erates

Cadet
Haha, I was about to update the post. I've read the "problems" with Kingston and decided to change to the Crucial memory. An updated list is below:

Mobo: Supermicro X10SLM-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Boxed
RAM: 2x Crucial - DDR3L 1600Mhz CL11 ECC 8GB (CT102472BD160B)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU: Seasonic G-Series 360W

Will this CPU be more future-proof than the 1220? Because with this configuration, I end up at 794,64. That's almost 100 euro more than my first config. It also has to do with the more expensive RAM, but that's only 60 euro's more expensive.

Dice

Wizard
That's almost 100 euro more than my first config.
Sure, yet better invested money.
Do you want to save more?
Recycle some other case, or build your own out of wood. In practice, everything you really need is standoffs for the motherboard (m4 bolts will do, else m3), something to mount your harddrives to. 2 wide enough metal pieces to cover both drive mount holes on the sides, will do the trick. And some fans for cooling.
At its cheapest - the thing could live out of a shoebox or two.

I believe you ran into the same problem as I did, thinking going the cheapest possible would do the trick good enough.
Then - when reading and understanding somewhat more, it turns out that "cheapest possible FreeNAS" is a completely different deal than 'cheapest fileserver'.

Erates

Cadet
Maybe you're right. I could recycle my old case that the old hardware sits in now. It's a large, bulky case, but it does the job. And it does save me about the 100 euro from the more expensive RAM and CPU.

Then I'll go with this config, without the case.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I have my old PC, why don't I use that for a NAS, and install FreeNAS on there. Turns out that wasn't such a great idea
At least 1000 posts of us saying this. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever use your old crappy desktop grade shit to make a proper FreeNAS.

:)

Erates

Cadet
Well yea, I take the blame fully on myself and this is the result. :s

But to wrap up, the configuration I have now, will be a good setup for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.