BUILD Thoughts on this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris.shelton

Dabbler
Hi all,

Been doing lots of research into FreeNAS and ZFS and I think I'm at a point where I am ready to buy.

It's going to be a system serving about 50 people using samba to do mainly file sharing. The NAS is not going to be hammered by all 50 people at once, it will get light use frequently. The NAS is also going to be used to host a wiki (dokuwiki).

Spec:

Mobo - Supermicro X10SLH-F 1150
CPU - Intel Core i3-4370
RAM - 32GB (4 x 8GB) Crucial Unbuffered ECC
Disks - 6 x 2TB WD Red 3.5" (RAIDZ2)

Will this spec be suitable for our needs?

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you plan to server 50 people, I would look at a full Xeon CPU. Two cores is just not a lot of power when you divide that workload by 50 and then a wiki on top.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Build looks good, but I concur with Cyberjock. This sounds like a server where you're going to want the Xeon. That'll be $100 well spent in this case. And I'm usually the guy counseling people to buy LESS beefy CPU's, for the record.

chris.shelton

Dabbler
Okay thanks for the replies.

We currently have a QNAP ts-119p+ (which has a pretty lame CPU) serving as a NAS to about 35 of us and it's never had any trouble. Granted, this new system will have to cope with more but I don't the increase will be that substantial. Like I said, it's 50 people accessing the NAS fairly frequently but not all at once, maybe 8-10 simultaneously. But, if you guys suggest going for the beefier CPU then that's what I'll go with.

Cheers

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi all,

Been doing lots of research into FreeNAS and ZFS and I think I'm at a point where I am ready to buy.

It's going to be a system serving about 50 people using samba to do mainly file sharing. The NAS is not going to be hammered by all 50 people at once, it will get light use frequently. The NAS is also going to be used to host a wiki (dokuwiki).

Spec:

Mobo - Supermicro X10SLH-F 1150
CPU - Intel Core i3-4370
RAM - 32GB (4 x 8GB) Crucial Unbuffered ECC
Disks - 6 x 2TB WD Red 3.5" (RAIDZ2)

Will this spec be suitable for our needs?

Thanks
I'd look closely at a xeon E5 platform. Might not cost much more, but has lots of headroom for increasing RAM. My first production samba server had similar specs. 32GB RAM is not as big as it sounds. Business needs sometimes change, it's nice to be able to scale up.

Status
Not open for further replies.