Need Mobo/cpu combo for quality but entry level TrueNAS core build.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sure, i understand what is being said. I dont understand why all the HDD's listed in sales or wherever are always listed with the Gb/s, why do they even bother?

Because there are hard drives that only go 1.5Gbps or 3Gbps, and all three interface speeds might be on the computer side as well. You don't want to hook up a 6Gbps SSD to a 1.5Gbps SATA interface on your computer. It'd be ... limiting.

jackdinn

Contributor
I mean, they have the acronym SATA there, why not say SATA III and be done with it.
So SATA =1.5Gb/s
SATA II = 3Gb/s
SATA III = 6Gb/s

so yea, as i said, why not just write SATA/SATA II/SATA III

No matter, were arguing semantics :tongue:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There is no such thing as "SATA III", the interface is known as SATA 6 Gb/s, which is at least honest - more than you can say about the LTO protection racket.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
There is no such thing as "SATA III", the interface is known as SATA 6 Gb/s, which is at least honest - more than you can say about the LTO protection racket.

Stop arguing for sanity or I am going to have to issue you warning points. I mean it! :smile:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or I could express my new-found disdain for whoever specced a tape library as part of a system back in 2007 and remove the warning points, but that would be rude (to you, I don't care about the LTO fanboy).

artlessknave

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
They might have done a 180 on that one, but the 6 Gb/s naming used to be strongly encouraged (corporate speak for "you pay the bills, but please do as we say"), though the spec revisions are SATA 3.x.

artlessknave

Wizard
but the 6 Gb/s naming used to be strongly encouraged
I've never heard of that. it's always been SATA 3.0/III 6Gb/S that I remember.

Davvo

MVP

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Ah, you kids. ST-506 (MFM) all the way. ESDI was a distraction. :smile:
I shouldn't have disposed of my Seagate ST251-1 (MFM, 1:1 interleave, 42 MB, 280 KB/s max. transfer rate) :cool: