Dabbler
Hello, my DIY server works with True Nas-12.0-U1.1

I have a problem: I currently have 2 pools:

The first one consists of:
- SSD 240 gb
-HDD 300 gb

The second pool of:
-HDD 230 gb

On the first pool there are the plugins (mineos, nextcloud, plex)
The second is used for vm.

I'd like to make it several more pools to separate plugins:

one pool for nextcloud one for mineos and the last one for plex to separate all the plugins on separate disks (HDD/SSD).
Is this possible?

On my side I tried but all the plugins in each pool don't start automatically, only the pool selected in "plugin" starts by itself.

------------

Bonjour, mon serveur DIY marche avec True Nas-12.0-U1.1

Je rencontre un problème: j'ai actuellement 2 piscines:

La première constituée de:
- SSD 240 gb
-HDD 300 gb

La seconde piscine de:
-HDD 230 gb

Sur la première piscine il y a les plugins (mineos, nextcloud, plex)
La seconde est utilisée pour les vm.

J'aimerais faire en sorte qu'il est plusieurs pools en plus pour séparer les plugins:

une pool pour nextcloud une pour mineos et la dernière pour plex pour séparer tous les plugins sur des disques (HDD/SSD) séparés.
Cela est t'il possible ?

De mon coté j'ai essayé mais tous les plugins de chaque pool ne démarrent pas automatiquement seulement le pool sélectionné dans "plugin" s démarre tous seuls

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, this isn't possible. iocage, which manages jails/plugins, can only be active on a single pool.

Eysiox

Dabbler
Unfortunately, this isn't possible. iocage, which manages jails/plugins, can only be active on a single pool.

All right, thank you. There is no possible alternative to separate the disks as much as possible. Or to separate plugins on the same pool with different databases for example ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can of course use the "mountpoints" feature of jails to e.g. mount a dataset in your HDD pool into e.g. /var/nextcloud/data in your Nextcloud jail and use that as the data store directory while still running the jail itself from your SSD pool.

I use that for Nextcloud and Mineos. Jails on SSD, large data on HDD.

Eysiox

Dabbler
You can of course use the "mountpoints" feature of jails to e.g. mount a dataset in your HDD pool into e.g. /var/nextcloud/data in your Nextcloud jail and use that as the data store directory while still running the jail itself from your SSD pool.

All right, thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Eysiox

Dabbler

I looked for ways to do what you told me but I couldn't find them. Do you have an explanatory video/tutorial?I looked for ways to do what you told me but I couldn't find them. Do you have an explanatory video/tutorial?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Click the < at the right of the jail to expand it. There will be a button for Mounts. You can choose various datasets outside the jail, and map them to paths inside the jail.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
My gut feeling is that we should take a step back and ask why @Eysiox wants to do this. We are at a fairly technical detail level, whereas the setup description implies to me that there is a lack of general knowledge about ZFS and TrueNAS. The latter is not a bad thing :smile:, but I think some "general" guidance may be more helpful at the end of the day.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
My gut feeling is that we should take a step back and ask why @Eysiox wants to do this.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to want to run your jails from SSD while keeping large chunks of stationary data on your HDD pool. Like in a typical Nextcloud installation.

I looked for ways to do what you told me but I couldn't find them. Do you have an explanatory video/tutorial?

So these are the datasets on my HDD pool:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-02 um 18.41.50.png

And this is the "mountpoints" setting for my Nextcloud jail:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-02 um 18.43.05.png Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-02 um 18.43.59.png

So the dataset /mnt/hdd/data/nextcloud - which lives on the "hdd" pool - is mounted into the jail living on the "ssd" pool at /mnt/ssd/iocage/jails/cloud/root/var/nextcloud - which happens to be /var/nextcloud when viewed from inside the jail.

Just make sure ownership of the dataset is correct for your application. In the case of Nextcloud that is easy. Nextcloud runs as user "www" inside the jail and that user exists outside of the jail in TrueNAS, too, with the same UID/GID. So no additional magic needed, just change the user and group of the dataset using the "edit permissions" menu item:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-02 um 18.47.52.png

That's all ... HTH,
Patrick

Eysiox

Dabbler
I think it is perfectly reasonable to want to run your jails from SSD while keeping large chunks of stationary data on your HDD pool. Like in a typical Nextcloud installation.

So these are the datasets on my HDD pool:
View attachment 44818

And this is the "mountpoints" setting for my Nextcloud jail:
View attachment 44819 View attachment 44820

So the dataset /mnt/hdd/data/nextcloud - which lives on the "hdd" pool - is mounted into the jail living on the "ssd" pool at /mnt/ssd/iocage/jails/cloud/root/var/nextcloud - which happens to be /var/nextcloud when viewed from inside the jail.

Just make sure ownership of the dataset is correct for your application. In the case of Nextcloud that is easy. Nextcloud runs as user "www" inside the jail and that user exists outside of the jail in TrueNAS, too, with the same UID/GID. So no additional magic needed, just change the user and group of the dataset using the "edit permissions" menu item:
View attachment 44822

That's all ... HTH,
Patrick

Perfect everything works thanks to you