need help on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You are doing something wrong. Can you delete all those partitions on that usb? Then try again, I think it should only have 1 or 2 partitions.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Can you delete all those partitions on that usb?
No doubt he can, but I don't think he should. Remember, FN8 used the partitioned USB stick with two 1-GB partitions for current and previous version, and I don't recall the others, but that partitioning looks right.

danb35

Hall of Famer
now i have a bunch of information to share about my build

Yes, this is much better. Thanks.

then i follow on screen instruction and i still end up at this prompt
That's when you're trying to boot from the newly-created USB stick?

That's an issue I've seen pop up from time to time in the pre-9.3 days, though I don't think I've seen a clear cause. But there are a number of threads here discussing how it might be addressed. Here are a few:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/going-crazy-with-mount-root-from-error.894/
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/freenas-8-3-0-root-mount-error.10270/

They make it sound like the issue is one of the partitioning of your USB stick. If you have another stick you can try, that might help.

nastomato

Dabbler
Hi all, my deepest apologies waking this month long thread up. Actually past few months I gave up trying to revive this FreeNAS drive because I am busy on personal side.

Right now, I am back trying to revive FreeNAS drive and get my precious data out.

I already build a new system consist of parts scrap from my cilents rigs

1. Intel core i5 1st generation processor
2. BIOSSTAR TH55HD
3. 2 GB Crucial ram
4. Toshiba USB boot drive.
5. Seagate Surveillance Drive (my main data drive)

I already build a FreeNAS 11 enviroment and attempting to mount back my 1tb drive to the FreeNAS but I still don't have any options to mount them back.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to install ubuntu and use UFS mount method found online. but error message report I might have a bad partition.

ubuntu messages

ufs_fill_super() bad magic number

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am already exhausted on ideas how to get my data back.

i hope to hear from anybody who have crucial and valuable advice for me. i welcome any advice. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.