need help on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastomato

Dabbler
Hi all, I am a normal FreeNAS user and this is the first time I encountered an issue with my FreeNAS.

I build FreeNAS on a scrap pieces of Mini ITX system and it works for about 3 years.. just today, it died and I checked and found out that the motherboard is the main culprit.. its a old part so its impossible for me to RMA or get an identical part to keep my FreeNAS running.

i have a sandisk cruzer flash drive connected to my FreeNAS and that's the booting media.

Right now, I am stuck at how do I retrieve my data from my 1tb FreeNAS?

i do have other system however, i connected the drive to my 2nd system and boot the sandisk cruzer drive with my 2nd system ..

I get a lot of USB devices message looping around and a manual mount prompt..

I really hope i can get the data back since it is my backup copy on my NAS.

I truly appreciate anybody who can help me out .. thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Burn a fresh copy of FreeNAS to a new USB stick, connect the disks from the old server to the other system, boot that system from the new USB stick, and import the pool. If that doesn't do it, or if you have problems, take a look back at the forum rules (which you said you read and agreed to when you registered today) for some of the information we'd need to help you.

nastomato

Dabbler
Burn a fresh copy of FreeNAS to a new USB stick, connect the disks from the old server to the other system, boot that system from the new USB stick, and import the pool. If that doesn't do it, or if you have problems, take a look back at the forum rules (which you said you read and agreed to when you registered today) for some of the information we'd need to help you.

thanks..

i managed to start a new system following the instruction you gave above.. but i dont know how to import the pool.. whenever i tried, i keep getting errors..

however, whenever i boot my old flashdrive.. i get stuck at this error.. i dont know how to proceed on. refer to nasa1.jpg and nasa2.jpg

Attachments

• nas2error.jpg
    nas2error.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 418
  • nasa1.jpg
    nasa1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 388
  • nasa2.jpg
    nasa2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 383

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not Import Disk, Import Volume. Your old USB stick seems to be toast; that's not unusual (they're notoriously unreliable).
take a look back at the forum rules (which you said you read and agreed to when you registered today) for some of the information we'd need to help you.
Edit: and why was my last post edited by a moderator?

nastomato

Dabbler
Not Import Disk, Import Volume. Your old USB stick seems to be toast; that's not unusual (they're notoriously unreliable).

Hi,

i tried the Import Volume option but i dont see any entries in the drop down box... its empty.. the system shows my drive is present and detected but i dont see anything related to the volume and data

thanks for the guide.. appreciate much

wblock

Documentation Engineer
It appears you are trying to use an older version of FreeNAS. 9.10 is the current version.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

I edit posts to fix the capitalization of FreeNAS, spelling, usage of its/it's, (s) pluralization, and other things.

nastomato

Dabbler
It appears you are trying to use an older version of FreeNAS. 9.10 is the current version.

Hi, the original version of my FreeNAS is 7 something.. I can't remember clearly and its a version 1 or 2 years ago..

Today I did download the latest copy and did all the setup. But then I still don't get my volume recognised by the latest version of FreeNAS.. any advice?

Thanks in advance.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Read the rules and follow them. You could have had this solved already if you bothered to read and provide the correct information.

Random guess here but I think you had a ufs system. You need to install FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 I think. Then you can import your pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I edit posts to fix the capitalization of FreeNAS, spelling, usage of its/it's, (s) pluralization, and other things.
images_do_not_want-741689.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer

nastomato

Dabbler
Read the rules and follow them. You could have had for solved is you bothered to read and provide the correct information.

Random guess here but I think you had a ufs system. You need to install FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 I think. Then you can import your pool.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
hi,

thanks for your advice. i download FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 ISO and burn into a CD and boot the CD and run the installation into a fresh flashdrive. however i boot the new flashdrive and i come across the exact same error message as i got from my old failing flashdrive.. i dont see any chances of given an IP Address and the access to a WEB GUI. I hope to hear more advice from you and lastly, thanks for your help

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
if you had FreeNAS 7 then this is not the FreeNAS you are looking for. You might need nas4free.

nastomato

Dabbler
Hi all, after a long day of researching and checking, i found out that my FreeNAS is FreeNAS 8. Sorry for all the trouble..

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
ok install FreeNAS 8 (LINK) and you should be able to access your data. You should have gotten it to work with FreeNAS 9.2 but something funky happened. I kind of wonder if you messed up burning it to the cd/usb.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there any idea how do i view or read the data directly ?
I've pointed you to the forum rules twice now. They talk about the information we need to be able to help you. You still haven't provided any of that information. Read the rules and answer the questions. You're wasting all of our time, including yours, by not providing this basic information.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I would recommend providing the information needed and requested by @danb35. Understanding your setup is really important before we pitch in and try to help too much. Keep in mind everyone isn't at the same level of FreeNAS wizardry guys :). Let's try to be polite.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Let's try to be polite.
I tried more politely asking for the information in two earlier posts, and @SweetAndLow in another one. Those requests went unheeded, so I felt it necessary to be a bit more blunt.

nastomato

Dabbler
I tried more politely asking for the information in two earlier posts, and @SweetAndLow in another one. Those requests went unheeded, so I felt it necessary to be a bit more blunt.

i deeply apologise for not reading the forum and not following the instructions. very very sorry!

now i have a bunch of information to share about my build

Original NAS build

Motherboard E350M1 ASROCK
CPU AMD embeded processor
RAM 2x2GB Micron
HDD WDC WD10EURS-730AB1 SATA
HDD controller: using onboard
network: using onboard

recovery system build

Intel DZ77GA-70K
Intel 3570K
16GB crucial
OS Drive Crucial M4 256gb
data drive Hitachi 500gb
hdd controller: using onboard
network: using onboard

fyi, whenever i boot my NAS.. i would disconnect my Crucial and Hitachi to avoid accidental damage to my working drive. everytime i prep my system for the NAS, i would plug out all my G27 Steering wheel and many other USB stuff connected.. leaving my reclusa and logitech mouse.

i downloaded the FreeNAS 8.3.2-RELEASE-x86.iso and burn it in my CDR disc and boot it in my system .. windows recognise the disc size as 101MB

then i follow on screen instruction and i still end up at this prompt

nasa1.jpg and nasa2.jpg

i have another question to ask..

Question 2.

why is there so many partition inside my sandisk flashdrive after installing FreeNAS inside?

referring to sandiskpart.jpg

Attachments

• nasa1.jpg
    nasa1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 377
  • nasa2.jpg
    nasa2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 394
  • sandiskpart.JPG
    sandiskpart.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 401