Need a recommendation for a local storage music app

hAtul

Dabbler
I have a decent amount of music on my hardrives. Some are of type FLAC. Some are self created music.

I would like a recommendation for an app that can access and play them (at least locally), in addition, I would like to have an app/client that can play them (iOS).

Is there such thing?

kidnoc

Cadet
I use Plex to manage my local music collection and PlexAmp to stream it to my iOS devices. Works very well even over cellular connections. You need Plex Pass to use PlexAmp, but I find it well worth it for the music and other features.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is there such thing?
Plex will do it, though it may be overkill for such a case. I'd expect the same is true of the other media servers--Emby, Jellyfin, likely LMS. What I'm using right now is Roon, though you'd likely want to run it in a VM (and it can get kind of pricey).

Do you have any Alexa devices if so try mymediaforalexa which is an audio streamer for TrueNas that lets you stream music to Alexa enabled devices.

sfatula

Guru
As far as IOS, ai am using IOS app named Cloudbeats Offline Music. This allows me to take my music with me too, I for sure don't want to rely on streaming from a cloud or app somewhere when I am traveling, though it works online too. Many ways to it to get music into it. Allows playlists including offline, shuffle, Carplay, Oraganize the way you want, most formats, can sync playlists, etc. etc.

wodnevets

Cadet
As far as IOS, ai am using IOS app named Cloudbeats Offline Music. This allows me to take my music with me too, I for sure don't want to rely on streaming from a cloud or app somewhere when I am traveling, though it works online too. Many ways to it to get music into it. Allows playlists including offline, shuffle, Carplay, Oraganize the way you want, most formats, can sync playlists, etc. etc.
Nice, They have a android version called Cloud Music Player Offline mp3. Lovely name. I will check it out. Thanks for sharing.

wodnevets

Cadet
I have been fiddling around with CloudBeats. How do you connect CloudBeats to your NAS? I have been trying through webDAV. It works fine without login credentials but as soon as I add login credentials it is really slow. I also tried connecting with https enabled but CloudBeats refuses to connect.

wodnevets

Cadet
I have a decent amount of music on my hardrives. Some are of type FLAC. Some are self created music.

I would like a recommendation for an app that can access and play them (at least locally), in addition, I would like to have an app/client that can play them (iOS).

Is there such thing?
Did you figure it out?

sfatula

Guru
I have been fiddling around with CloudBeats. How do you connect CloudBeats to your NAS? I have been trying through webDAV. It works fine without login credentials but as soon as I add login credentials it is really slow. I also tried connecting with https enabled but CloudBeats refuses to connect.
I'm using webdav, works fine for me. I could have used Nextcloud also. You should pursue that as a new Webdav question. I mostly use my offline and download local, it's very fast. Just know part of the scanning to know your music is the app contacting other sources to capture things like artist photos. So, that's not instant. Once it knows your music, there is no need to do so any more. By far the best app I've ever used for music.

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
Plex will do it, though it may be overkill for such a case. I'd expect the same is true of the other media servers--Emby, Jellyfin, likely LMS. What I'm using right now is Roon, though you'd likely want to run it in a VM (and it can get kind of pricey).
@danb35 Sorry to react on an somewhat older submission but I was triggered by your statement about Roon. At the end of 2019 I got the worst news of my life. I encountered an eye disease that could potentialy render me funtional blind in months. After a period of panick one of the things I decided was to do away with my TrueNAS box (to complicated for my wife) and I bought a Synology NAS (yes it hurts).

Now a couple of years later I consider myself to be a lucky son of a b.... A kind of therapy that's only fully succesfull in 5% of the cases is working very well out for me. I still can see well thank you. And now I want my TrueNAS back.

But in the meantime there is one thing I can't fault Synology for: It's eco system is nothing less then wunderfull. One of the things I am running on my NAS is Roon Core. So if I go back to TrueNAS (very likely) I want to run Roon Core of it. If I understood correctly you have Roon running on a VM. Did you install ROCK on a Linux VM running on Scale or did you find another way to do this? Because what ever I do I will keep Roon. I love it. So some tips of you would be very helpfull. Thanks in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Did you install ROCK on a Linux VM running on Scale or did you find another way to do this?
First, glad to hear your eye condition has been effectively treated.

As to Roon, yes, it's in a VM. I have a Proxmox cluster, so I don't run VMs on TrueNAS. And while I've seen guides on setting up ROCK under Proxmox, I wasn't successful with them, so I just set up a Debian VM and installed Roon server there. It's working well.

Evertb1

Guru
@danb35 Thanks for your quick response. I have some thinking to do. In my household there is only room for one NAS/Server so I need to make some well-tought-out choises.