LMS on TrueNAS SCALE: runs very well except one little thing

HerrRay

Dabbler
So I have LMS (Logitech Media Server) running as an app on TrueNAS SCALE (version 23.10.1.3) and generally it runs very very well. (For those who are unfamiliar with LMS, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Media_Server and the community maintained docker image is here: https://hub.docker.com/r/lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver.) LMS has the possibility to save the current playlist for the currently active client automatically so that across server restarts said client can continue where it stopped at the time of server shutdown, by which I mean stopping the app within the TrueNAS environment. The playlist is saved automatically in the config/prefs directory of LMS's app data dataset.

Now for the life of me I can't make it find the music files referenced in that saved playlist when I stop and then start the app. LMS complains in its server log that it can't find the music files referenced in the saved playlist. Which is really strange, because for sure those files are in the music files dataset and I can just play them later on. It's not a matter of slow drives during spin-up of the app (I think) because the config dataset as well as the music files dataset are on SSD's. Also, I tried to play with permissions but to no avail. So something is happening during the starting process of LMS server, but I have no clue about what that might be.

Are there more users of LMS within the TrueNAS community and if so, do you see the same problem? If it works for you, could you give me a hint of where to look for possible solutions? If you need more detailed info I'm of course happy to give that. Any ideas are much appreciated, thanks in advance!

HerrRay

Dabbler
I could narrow it down just a little bit, in that if I shutdown/restart LMS itself, *while leaving the pod running in SCALE*, the problem persists. You might say aha, it's a problem with LMS itself! Well, that may be, but in other environments (macOS, Linux etc.), running on the bare metal (so not as a Docker thingie) the problem isn't there.

Also, the Kubernetes log is basically a copy of the server log from LMS itself, so that does not give me any new information. Really, I have no clue how to troubleshoot this further... :frown:

HerrRay

Dabbler
I think I solved it. In my "playing with permissions" I totally messed up, and my music file dataset was not owned by the LMS-user and the apps-group. Now it is and it solved my problem. Fingers crossed! Note to self: be more precise and make notes of what I've tried. :cool: